Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Linkedin. just wondering

Posted by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 10:38 PM
  • 10 Replies
Generally I am fairly low profile online. I dont post my kids or my lunch on fb, I dont really tweet.. but I do have a linkedin profile, more out of "its expected" than anything else. Im not looking to change jobs nor does my position require much recruiting though I am in HR. I receive alot of requests from current staff, hopeful applicants, friends, and friends and acquaintances in similar industries so they are likely thinking to apply. Some requests are easy to weed out but some are trickier.. I still have to see these people at the Ball field or the pto mtg or in the hall at work. If you use Linkedin how do you select and choose who you accept?
by on Jun. 5, 2014 at 10:38 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ljmom24
by Member on Jun. 7, 2014 at 8:41 AM
1 mom liked this
I have a linked in but there isn't a lot on it and I don't have a lot if people on it. I actually only have an account because we used to use it work for a search tool. Now we don't. If I don't know you I ignore you.
HotMama330
by Bronze Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 2:28 PM
3 moms liked this

I will accept most connection requests that come from people I know, fellow group members or second degree requests.  I reject those who act like it's a dating site, people whom I have no idea how they found me and people from certain foreign counties just because I know I will never do business with anyone in that nation.

RhiannonMare
by Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I accept those whom I know IRL or if I've known them online for a long time. I've been online since 1998 and I've kept up with some people since that time, so I'm linked with some of them.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 11, 2014 at 11:49 PM
1 mom liked this
I just accept pretty much everybody that I know. I have never run into a problem, but I am not very active on it.
mattsmate
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:07 AM
2 moms liked this
I accept any professional contacts that I know. I is this because you never know when that might come in handy.
Marz31
by Silver Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 10:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I got a request the other week from someone at one of the plants my company works with, but I have NO contact with that plant nor do I have any contact with this person, so I didn't accept, and for whatever reason, there are people I see daily that I haven't connected with. But I do know that it's how a lot of people do get jobs these days, so it's kind of a necessary evil and sometimes the pictures people use for their profile just make my jaw drop. I had to remind DH to not have the one with our daughter in it, duh. but others are very casual or just not very flattering not that you have to get a professional headshot or something, but put up a picture of YOU on a regular day! Anyway....yeah, lots of conections, plenty more if I wanted or needed.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 11:13 AM
2 moms liked this

I generally accept those that I know in real life and on line and sometimes second party. If they seem shady, then I don't. The whole point of LinkedIn is to network, so I try to accept those in my industry and it's been helpful.

preemiemom45
by Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:55 PM
3 moms liked this
This is what I do.

I'm a fan of LinkedIn when looking for work. I was laid off and through linked in, I got 2 interviews and 2 job offers. I accepted one and am still there 3.4 years later and very happy! Other than job hunting, it's simply a networking tool. I accept connection requests for people I know in real life and second connections (friend of a friend). You never know when you will need some good networking.

Quoting HotMama330:

I will accept most connection requests that come from people I know, fellow group members or second degree requests.  I reject those who act like it's a dating site, people whom I have no idea how they found me and people from certain foreign counties just because I know I will never do business with anyone in that nation.

100problems-1
by New Member on Jun. 12, 2014 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I try to find HR people and my previous coworkers and friends from grad school. Unless they are a recruiter I know the person I am friends with.
nomadbrat83
by Member on Jun. 13, 2014 at 7:35 PM
I accept people I know IRL, second party and certain industry related people
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)