Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Business casual wardrobe

Posted by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM
  • 15 Replies
I need to amp up my wardrobe. My company is business casual. My position does not require me to meet with clients but it can happen from time to time. Normally I wear business appropriate pants, a nice top or a top that can be dressed up with a sweater, and flats. I'm on a tight budget right now due to medical bills that came up. Where do you shop for office appropriate clothing that's affordable? Just to give you an idea, my company serves high net worth clients both individual and businesses. I don't have to wear pant suits or skirt suits but I need to start building up my wardrobe.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
by on Jun. 7, 2014 at 2:12 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
michiganmom116
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 7:11 AM

Try second-hand thrift stores like Goodwill.  Many of them have discount days....our local place has 50% off on Wednesdays and I can walk out of there with several items of clothing for as little as $1 each.

Try to stick with things that can be mixed & matched to make several different outfits. 

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 9:36 AM
1 mom liked this
Sales at stores like Macys can be incredible. I have gotten pants for ten dollars, tops for 2.99. Value Village or Savers is also good. as could be resale shops operated by churches or womens groups. A local church has a resell shop that operates a couple of times a week and they sell name brand suited ensembles for $15.
ljmom24
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 11:12 AM
Most of my stuff I get at marshals or tjmax. Nice clothes without breaking the bank. I usually get gift certs from mil to dress barn and they have an outlet near my parents ski place so twice a year I stop and usually get some office appropriate dressed and skirts. I pick up a few pieces here and there at change if season or hit the clearance rack.

My office is business casual so I could wear jeans if I wanted but since I work with corporate counsel and the ombudsman office and often have to go up that floor I try to save the jeans for a Friday or if I come in on a weekend.
nomadbrat83
by Member on Jun. 8, 2014 at 12:05 PM
1 mom liked this
Consignment shops, outlet mall (loft, gap, Ann Taylor, etc). Department stores, target
mattsmate
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 9:11 AM
Also, kohls
caustinb
by New Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 9:12 AM
New York and Company mostly.
CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:18 AM

NY & Company, but I also do a lot of Banana Republic. They put everything on sale, so if you shop their sales you get great deals.

patlizvic
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:22 AM

Kohls usually has great sales. My company is business casual too. I usually wear slacks and a blouse or sweater. I've gotten a lot of my clothes at Kohls or Burlington Coat Factory. Burlinton has a large selection of clothes now.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:26 AM
I love consignment shops for my kids, not as much for me.

For trousers or pants, I buy classic styles, they need to last, I save and therefore will splurge, on them from Banana republic & ann Taylor or Boden.

I will also pay a bit more for pencil skirts and once again, classic style, can last for years and years.

One black, and one whitish cardigan/sweaters to stay warm for each session, I also will buy from the Banana republican or Gap or Ann Taylor. As these are a staple I often wear multiple times a week.

Now, blouses, colored sweaters, dresses, more trendy skirts etc, I get at multiple stores: The Limited, New York and company, forever 21, Marshall's Macy's, JC Penney, Dillard's, H&M, Target, and yes I look a lot on sales racks!

Most of my accessories I get from Target, the Limited, Burlington coat Factory.

Have fun shopping. I am so disgusted by my weight, I haven't shopped for a while!
Kellileanne
by Member on Jun. 9, 2014 at 11:52 AM
I have found some of my favorite clothes at goodwill. Otherwise I shop at BASS, Old Navy, and sometimes Macy's. Just depends on the sale really, gotta get a good deal.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)