Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

If you are/were a boss...

Posted by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:51 AM
  • 12 Replies
Of course the ideal situation is for employees to come in on time and get right to work, but if you had to choose between the following scenarios, which is LEAST annoying?

1. Employee comes in on time, eats breakfast at their desk/workstation/breakroom for ten minutes and then starts working.

OR

2. Employee comes in ten minutes late and gets right to work.
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:51 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sarita33
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:53 AM
I think 1 because at least I would know they were coming in instead of wondering if they will show up.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
michiganmom116
by on Jun. 16, 2014 at 9:57 AM

Depends on how professional the office is and how visible the employee is.  I would have no problem with them eating at their desk if the job is informal and they're discreet.

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I've not been a boss over employees to dictate, but as an employee, I've always gotten the vibe that workplace eating is better that tardiness. 

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:32 AM

It depends. If the employee is eating and not really bothering anyone else, then #1 wouldn't be so bad. It seems like there is usually a group that congregates in the kitchen first thing in the morning anyway - while everyone gets their coffee and exchanges good mornings......So maybe that isn't too much of an interruption.

Honestly - I would find out why they can't get to work on time AND eat breakfast prior to getting to work. If they are the only employee doing it, then it's probably noticed by everyone else, and probably several people wonder why they also can't do it.

codfish
by Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:35 AM
I am a manager and I can say that I always have employees eating. I understand everyone is constantly on the go. I literally keep food on my desk and just eat as I go by. I am never later however and I don't b do well with employees who think being late is ok.
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jun. 16, 2014 at 10:59 AM

#2 but that's only because we have set schedules and it annoys me more than anything when my relief is late. I actually sit at my desk and have breakfast after I get to work.

mrsary
by Bronze Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:02 AM
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:06 AM

I'm not or have never been a boss/supervisor but I think the least annoying would be employee comes in on time and eats at desk. My coworker does this daily, lol.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:31 AM
1 mom liked this
You know, my questions:
1) are they able to get there responsibilities done?
2) is it bad for the customer or service?
3) is it hurting my office or workplace morale?

I honestly don't mind of employees are late or eating to get started for the day, I only focus on their ability to get their tasks done and get them done well!
thekerrclan
by New Member on Jun. 16, 2014 at 11:01 PM

I think that as long as they get to work, I'd be ok with a relaxed atmosphere. Great question though...and since I work from home in my pjs or workout clothes if I feel so inclined...I'm probably not the most qualified to answer this. :)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)