Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Layoffs yesterday

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:26 AM
  • 5 Replies
Luckily I was ok and my department untouched but major it's the the other half of my area. This is the 4th or 5th lay off in 4 years. We are lossing count and we have another pending because if loss of a contract. The restructure actually benefited my area some but also eliminated half of what I do. They did do one thing they were promising and some people affected yesterday were transferred to another area vs being let go. But overall a bad day at work. Some of those let go had over 20 years in company. No one is really safe.
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 6:26 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:13 AM
That is sad. Glad you maintained employment
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jun. 25, 2014 at 8:33 AM

Glad you weren't affected. It's sad when they have layoffs

KenneMaw
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 1:58 PM

Layoffs are so hard, both for the person who got laid off and the person who survives.   Our company went through 2-3 major restructurings in as many years. When I started in 2008, we had over 1100 employees and now we are right under 500.  The morale gets so low.    At one point, everyone went on reduced hours from 40 to 35 hours per week.  That lasted for a year until they decided to make another big cut and bring everyone back to 40 hours.   Our international offices have had it rough too.

All I can say is keep your chin up, offer to learn new duties, make yourself valuable and be a team player.  I really do believe those traits are recognized when they are considering layoffs.  

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 10:17 AM

Ooh, that's rough. I'm sorry.  : / Count your lucky stars you're still employed! Hopefully business picks up for you all. 

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jun. 26, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Not in this economy.  I keep hearing about the "recovery", but then hear the unemployment numbers.  When we have new jobless claims as high as they are, I don't see how there is a "recovery".

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN