Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Declining swim party invitations because

Posted by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:08 PM
  • 31 Replies

my 6 yo cannot swim. My 6 year old has been invited to 2 swim parties, and I am going to decline, becuase DS cannot swim independantly. I guess he is in the minority? I feel bad for him. Have you guys been in this situation? These are school friends, NOT family, so I certainly am not suiting up like a helicoptor mom, lol.

by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:13 PM
1 mom liked this

How do you know the other kids are swimming?  Just because it is a swim party, it doesn't exactly mean they are doing laps...KWIM?

When my girls were 6, almost all of the kids were iffy swimmers at best.  I had no problem staying at anyone's birthday parties, especially a swim party.  I also have no problem getting into a bathing suit even if I am overweight.

Don't decline just because of these reasons.  My 6 year old twins had this front/back thing to help them stay up and help them learn to swim.  Maybe he can wear that.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:21 PM

I take water safety very seriously. We've had some close calls, and for that reason I cannot look at it objectively. So all the other mothers at a pool party are wearing swimming suits? idk, usually by this age we just stand in the back of the room. I just worry about my DS getting in over his head, he's been pulled out by a lifeguard before (he was fine, I think it was a bit over-reactive, but all the same, it demonstrated he wasn't ready to swim at a party)...............and my YDS actually went under for a few seconds at a swim party before DH got to him. That's why I am so leery. Plus with the baby I haven't ventured to take all 3 out this year.

Quoting M4LG5:

How do you know the other kids are swimming?  Just because it is a swim party, it doesn't exactly mean they are doing laps...KWIM?

When my girls were 6, almost all of the kids were iffy swimmers at best.  I had no problem staying at anyone's birthday parties, especially a swim party.  I also have no problem getting into a bathing suit even if I am overweight.

Don't decline just because of these reasons.  My 6 year old twins had this front/back thing to help them stay up and help them learn to swim.  Maybe he can wear that.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:23 PM

Oh, and sadly, I don't know what my options for floaties are for him, he LOVES the puddle jumper but is now HUGE, at 58 pounds 51 inches)

Quoting M4LG5:

JessiFaye
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:24 PM

They make life vests for this age group that have designs and things on them, so they don't look like your typical safety equipment. I see kids with those on at our pool club constantly. Have you thought about getting him one of those? They allow them a pretty good range of motion to play with their friends but won't allow them to go under the water.

LuvmyAiden
by on Jun. 25, 2014 at 4:26 PM

If he never gets near the water he will be 20 and not swimming. Let him go and suit up to play too. Be involved. If I can do three kids in the water at once anyone can.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:10 PM
Lol, I never said I won't let him near water, he does swim lessons every year, but this year we are getting a late start, we start swim lessons again after the 4th. But horsing around at a birthday party especially if others CAN swim, it just seems scary to me.

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

If he never gets near the water he will be 20 and not swimming. Let him go and suit up to play too. Be involved. If I can do three kids in the water at once anyone can.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:12 PM
I will look into it.

Quoting JessiFaye:

They make life vests for this age group that have designs and things on them, so they don't look like your typical safety equipment. I see kids with those on at our pool club constantly. Have you thought about getting him one of those? They allow them a pretty good range of motion to play with their friends but won't allow them to go under the water.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:14 PM
Could you post a picture, he's getting so big, much larger than an average 1st grader, that all I have seen are traditional looking life vests. I also get leery as I want him to learn to feel his body I the water, but maybe for this occasion, we'll bring it along.

Quoting JessiFaye:

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:16 PM
Oh and how old are your kids, lol, the days of hanging around mommy at parties are fading with my big guy seriously?

Quoting LuvmyAiden:

JessiFaye
by Member on Jun. 25, 2014 at 5:18 PM

I'm not sure exactly what brands I've seen, but they are similar to this: 

http://www.amazon.com/Speedo-Kids-Begin-Classic-Medium/dp/B00BP5O1F4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1403731000&sr=8-2&keywords=safety+vest+child

The FAQ on that particular one says the large goes up to 60 lbs. There are probably similar ones out there. Do you have a swim shop in your area?

Quoting Marti123: Could you post a picture, he's getting so big, much larger than an average 1st grader, that all I have seen are traditional looking life vests. I also get leery as I want him to learn to feel his body I the water, but maybe for this occasion, we'll bring it along.
Quoting JessiFaye:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)