Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Am I making a big career mistake?

Posted by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:18 AM
  • 2 Replies
1 mom liked this

Ok Ladies, so after leaving a job of 3 years for personal reasons many of which were serious,  it took me 6 months to find a new position.  I was really excited about this job EXCEPT for the pay.  I was willing to start at the bottom because it is a new field for me and I have my own business on the side.  However, I came to find out that others right out of school were being paid close to $5/hr more than I was and then I didn't feel quite good at all about taking this job.  I have 20 years work experience and I have not worked for a wage this low since before graduating college.  The benefits are good and after probation period claimed they would help pay for me to finish my masters degree.  I could swing this job if my other business was going well but its not and I am quickly gaining debt and not able to pay all my bills.  I'm already starting to think that I need to still look for a job that pays me close to my old wage which was more of a manager's salary.  Any thoughts?  Anyone switch careers have advice?embarrassed

by on Jul. 13, 2014 at 6:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
ChristyLargent
by New Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 7:57 PM
2 moms liked this

One thought...it's always easier to find a job when you have a job.  You can always look for something else while you're employed at your new place.

quickbooksworm
by Member on Jul. 13, 2014 at 8:04 PM
1 mom liked this
I would ask about splitting the difference with them. You may qualify for financial aid making tuition reimbursement a moot negotiating point. Just be upfront that you expect to be paid less because its new but that in order to be the best employee you need to at least make enough to make ends meet.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN