Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Reducing Hours

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:47 PM
  • 11 Replies
I just had a baby and would like to see if I can reduce my hours to 20 hours a week, but I know sure how to approach management with the request. Does anyone else have experience with doing this?
by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 10:47 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:29 PM
No advice but to be honest. Maybe other ladies have done it.
MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:12 AM

I think the best way to address these issues is face-to-face. Either email your boss asking for a moment of his or her time to discuss something or pop in to his or her office to ask. 

ljmom24
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this

I would check to see if your company has a policy on it. Mine no longer allows for part time positions but when we did there was formal paperwork you needed to complete to request it.

TigOlBitties
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:35 PM
2 moms liked this
Yes, I've done a proposal on a flexible schedule before.

Just outline the reasons for your request, the plan for your workload, the benefits to boh the company and your own health, etc.

I was nervous and wasn't quite sure how to go about my request either, but keep in mind: the worst they can say is no. And if they do say no, you know where they stand and can start exploring other options.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I asked to speak to admin and scheduled a time. It went something like this......I really value our company and enjoy working here, however I would like to see if I could work 2 days a week. I can assist with filling vacation days and am able to fill any role needed......

So I told them what I wanted and how it would help them. Most likely they will think about it and get back to you with accepting your terms or a counter-offer. If they flat out say no, just thank them and say, "I understand and appreciate your consideration." THen re-evaluate your options.

Good luck!

creoletexan
by New Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 6:52 PM
1 mom liked this
Thanks ladies!! I just have to figure out how it would benefit them. So far, I have save money due to reduced salary. I know it's beneficial for me because I'm starting grad school in the fall, new baby, husband transitioning out of the military and working full-time is a lot, so a reduced schedule would lessen the chance of me having a mental meltdown lol. Though, I still plan to work more hours, if needed. I plan to only be part-time for a couple a months.
bluelace777
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:22 PM
1 mom liked this

Check over your maternity leave paperwork. Mine specifically said we're not allowed to come back part time. A few months later the company decided to close over the weekend to save money, and I took this time to request working part time, and they said no. Go figure.

Good luck! You will have a lot going on. Congrats on the baby.

creoletexan
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 2:14 AM
1 mom liked this
Thanks! Technically, I'm out on short term disability leave for 6 weeks. I wasn't there long enough to qualify for FMLA, so I wonder if it still would apply. Nevertheless, I have some digging to do. Thanks!

Quoting bluelace777:

Check over your maternity leave paperwork. Mine specifically said we're not allowed to come back part time. A few months later the company decided to close over the weekend to save money, and I took this time to request working part time, and they said no. Go figure.

Good luck! You will have a lot going on. Congrats on the baby.

reinydawn
by Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 3:00 PM

What kind of work do you do?  Is there a way you can telecommute a few days a week?  I know a lot of companies are getting on board with that.  That way you don't have to cut your hours (or paycheck) and the work still gets done.

Congrats!  And good luck!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 25, 2014 at 12:12 PM
1 mom liked this

This a good thought, although I worked from home with my 3rd infant for the first 6 months, and it was still time-consuming, and over-all difficult. I was lucky and was glad to have the opportunity to be with baby and nurse, but the actual job portion was MUCH more difficult than actually just doing it without children at work, if that makes sense? And I wouldn't even call her a high needs baby, lol.

Quoting reinydawn:

What kind of work do you do?  Is there a way you can telecommute a few days a week?  I know a lot of companies are getting on board with that.  That way you don't have to cut your hours (or paycheck) and the work still gets done.

Congrats!  And good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN