Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Suddenly Unemployed and Freaking Out

Posted by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM
  • 9 Replies

So a little back ground story... I was employed at my last job as a manager part time in the evenings and I stayed home with my son during the day while my fiance is a work. However the pay was awful and I hated the job. So I started seeking new employment. I got hired on at a new job at a local chain hardware store for full time working days. They hired me and told me my first day was to be today, Tuesday. I gave my last job notice that my last day was going to be Wednesday July 16th. The reason I had that gap between the 16th and today was because on Thursday the 17th I had my surgery scheduled to get my tubes tied and needed the weekend period to rest. So I had my surgery and have only had complications since. I ended up in the emergency room on two days later with severe pain and a mild bladder infection... due to my history with C-Diff I chose to hold off on the antibiotics. But my pain persisted and I saw my regular doctor yesterday and it turns out that during the surgery they somehow made contact with my colon and my bladder and the bacteria from the colon got into my bladder, which my Dr says makes no sense because no catheter was used. So now I have an extremely difficult infection and have to be put on antibiotics. For those of you who are familiar with it, C-Diff is an extremely dangerous infection that takes over the intestines after antibiotic use due to the antibiotic killing all the good and bad bacteria in the gut. So now I am on an antibiotic and am having diarrhea, stomach cramps and nausea which I am fearing may be C-Diff. I plan to go to the Dr in the morning to have it tested...

Anyways today I went into my 'new job'... I spoke to the manager who told me simply that there was a 'shake up' over the weekend and said my hours may not be the same that had been originally told me but we'd talk about it later. He then told me that I would be shadowing another employee so that I could learn the ropes. I shadowed her for two hours and then he came over and told me that they weren't going to hire me. I was and still am in shock. I was promised the job and a certain pay and told my first day was today. So not only did I go to work feeling very sick but I left with no job. I have worked since I was 16, I have NEVER not had a job. I have no idea how we are going to make ends meet. My fiance makes good money but my income was necessary to pay the bills fully and have some left over to put into savings. And now I am sick, if you've ever had the stomach flu where you are unexpectedly running to the bathroom THAT is what its like for me right now, So I feel I cannot even find a new job until I get my health figured out. No employer is going to keep me on board if I constantly run off to the bathroom. ----- And to top it off my fiance is very stressed out (which it completely understandable) but he is pressuring me to find a job right away but I honestly feel like I need to get my health figured out first. I feel like if I get my condition diagnosed and start to manage it that then I will be in a better place. I need to rest and take care of my self. I feel like a mans job is to take of the family when he is able - that said I have no problem working, once I am better.

Please if anybody has any advice or encouraging words I would REALLY appreciate it. I am close to a break down at this point and just want to be able to provide for my family. Any ideas on how to make money from home etc? Please and thank you

by on Jul. 22, 2014 at 11:54 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ColorRed
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:02 PM

I'm so sorry to hear this.  Please know that I'll be praying for you, for both a speedy recovery and for a great employment opportunity to open up for you.  Hang in there, friend, and get better soon!

DawnPratt23
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:21 PM
http://tubal.org/symptoms_of_pts.htm

You maybe having a reaction to the tubal. I had mine done 5 yrs ago and still have issues. I have endometriosis and all the symptoms of tubal ligation syndrome.

As for the work, that may take sometime, I work part time from home. I would talk to your Doctor about options.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
trish2tew
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:26 PM

I would get it in writing from the "new" company that you are not being hire and then maybe apply for unemployment until you can find another one.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 2:03 PM

That is awful, what the new employers did to you!!! Did they give you any feedback as to why, the sudden change?

Take a deep breath. Your resume should be up to date, so just open up that paper, online web site, etc for an hour or two per day and apply for new jobs. They other extra time, rest and relax for your health. Even if you get interviews and/or job offers, you can schedule them as your health allows. 

As far as your DF, I would calmly, tell him "thank you so much for being so supportive during this time of crisis." Try not to be accusatory. If you are stressed and anxious, it'll just up his emotions. Just try to be calm.

I have not heard of any online, WAH jobs posted in here, that pan out for people personally. Not saying that they won't, I just haven't heard any feedback suggesting any are legit. 

As far as a UTI, most UTI's are caused from e-coli, which is often from the bowel. So even if you had no procedures, these things can happen. Did they culture your urine to figure out which antibiotics will be effective? CAn they switch you to macrobid or something that will not increase your risk of c-diff? Good news, uncomplicated UTI's can usually be treated swiftly.

Good luck!!

bluelace777
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:26 PM
1 mom liked this

Relax. Sleep on it. Cut off your cable, lower your internet speed, cut unnecessary expenses to the bone. File for unemployment. Look in your area to see if there are free clinics to keep up on your health.

Things will be okay.

JessesMom2009
by New Member on Jul. 24, 2014 at 1:51 AM
1 mom liked this

@ColorRed - Thank you so much for your encouraging words and prayers, they are MUCH appreciated <3

@DawnPratt - I believe some of my illness may be caused by my tubal because I have a pre-exisiting condition called Microscopic Colitis which I believe may have been aggravated due to the surgery. My doctor is currently looking into it.

@Trish - Thank you for the suggestion, I did file for unemployment just to cover my bases. I gave them my statement documenting what happened with the 'new company', also I have contacted that same company in reaction to what they did to me. I am supposed to be hearing back from them in regards to that, I plan to call eveeyday so they do not just shove this problem to the side.

@Marti123 - They told me simply "There was a shake-up in management over the weekend" and that was the extent of the explanation. I STILL do not understand why he did not tell me that when I arrived, I deserved an explination as to why the job I was hired on to do is suddenly not available with no warning. Luckily as you said my resume is up to date and so far I believe I have applied to 20 different places since Tuesday, I take the time while my son eats lunch and naps to get online and apply vigorously. My fiance and I have since had a discussion and I explained how dangerous C-Diff can be to me if I do in fact have it again, that fact that my part of my bowels would have to be removed and a colostomy bag put in place would be a possibility if any c-diff infection got out of control seemed to ring a bell with him. After we talked he told me to get my doctors stuff figured out and we would go from there. He also offered to help me look for job listings when he's home from work. So this is a help to me, it lowers my anxiety because he is my main source of support. Also I am actually on Macrobid right now my UTI, ironic that you would mention that. I am also taking a D-Mannose and Cranberry supplement to help clear out the infection. I am praying this resolves it and I do not have to be switched to a stronger antibiotic to get rid of it because as you know that WOULD increase my risk of c-diff as well. They do not have a complete culture back yet I dont believe, I plan to call them tomorrow to check on that, I need to know for my piece of mind. Thank you for all your input <3

@BlueLace - Thank you for the advice. I have already cut our grocery bill in half for this coming week and my fiance and I plan to go over the rest of our finances so we can get bills reduced to a point that we can handle them without my income.

To all of you that responded THANK YOU for the kind words. Having input from an outside source is refreshing and lets me have a fresh perspective on the situation. Advice like this is so nice to have right now <3

HotMama330
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 3:10 PM

I'm sorry you're going through this.  I hope you get well soon.  Depending on what your job skills are, you might be able to bring in some extra cash until you are able to get a full time position on job bidding sites such as Elance.  It won't subtitute a full time job, but you'll be at home and every little bit helps.

adrianalambert
by New Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 8:19 PM
I work from home with a reputable company if you would like to make sustainable income and work the hours you feel well enough to contact me at 817 609 1994
reinydawn
by Member on Jul. 30, 2014 at 10:12 AM

That is a horrible thing to go though.  You definitely need to get your health in order - you are no good to anyone if you're not healthy.  It sounds like you are using your time wisely to find a job, hopefully one that will pan out.  Although this isn't an immediate solution, I would like to suggest looking into different work from home opportunities.  I know from experience that there are legit ones out there - the wellness company I work for has been great with me.  You need to find one that makes sense to you and fits your lifestyle.  You can easily do what I did - start out part-time to make some extra money, then lead into full-time (I quit my CPA job last year).  Or you can start out full-time and not worry about being at the whim of someone else.  If you'd like to take a look, send me a message and we can chat a bit.

I wish you the best of luck!  Get well soon!!!!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN