Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Dining Out Budget

Posted by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:28 AM
  • 32 Replies

I will admit that I dine out WAY too much. It's mostly a convenience thing. I work in downtown Houston, TX so it is *easier* to just grab something to eat here for breakfast & lunch verses planning ahead, fixing something in the morning, etc. Basically, I'm lazy. I'm trying to get myself on a personal budget because I spend way too much money. We are fine financially, but I know that I should be setting back a whole lot more than I currently do. I don't want to cut myself off from dining out completely, but I do need to cut it back a lot. So, I'm curious....how much do you personally spend monthly on dining out for breakfast and/or lunch, if at all?

by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 8:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:01 AM
1 mom liked this

I try to not go out more than once a week for breakfast and lunch. I don't always keep in that goal. I recently had to have an intervention on myself about my latte spending. haha. I've done a lot better the past few weeks! 

I have the same problem as you, though. I commute an hour to work to downtown Dallas. There are so many great restaurants in my area and I'm always rushing to get out the door at home. It's just so easy to eat out! 

Unchained_Woman
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:51 AM

Ahhh, yes!! Starbucks is the devil!! We have one on the first floor of my building, so I am tempted every stinking morning!! I have gotten much better at not giving in to that temptation lately, but the restaurants really have a good hold on me!!

Quoting MindPalace:

I try to not go out more than once a week for breakfast and lunch. I don't always keep in that goal. I recently had to have an intervention on myself about my latte spending. haha. I've done a lot better the past few weeks! 

I have the same problem as you, though. I commute an hour to work to downtown Dallas. There are so many great restaurants in my area and I'm always rushing to get out the door at home. It's just so easy to eat out! 

Mygirl30248
by Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 10:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I try not to bc it does add up & I can't afford it. I do however, grab food at the gas station down the road (only place to do so in town) when I'm being lazy but it's $3.63 for two slices of pizza, which actually isn't too bad. I try to make sure I have things made ahead of time but like you said it's hard. 

For example I just picked up two boxes of pasta salad mix for $3 in hopes to make it & eat for lunch the next few days. I picked it up last night & haven't made it yet & have no idea what I'll eat on my lunch today :( so BUMP

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:32 AM
There is a little coffee shop walking distance from my office. I just can't resist a black Irishman latte (mocha, Irish cream, hazelnut) and a giant strawberry muffin. Now my mouth is watering! Mmmm, delicious!

Quoting Unchained_Woman:

Ahhh, yes!! Starbucks is the devil!! We have one on the first floor of my building, so I am tempted every stinking morning!! I have gotten much better at not giving in to that temptation lately, but the restaurants really have a good hold on me!!

Quoting MindPalace:

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

I have Doc McDougall Oatmeals in my desk for breakfast- cuts down on those breakfast burrito trips (and calories!).  For lunch, I have a mini crockpot here that I start in the morning.  I keep dried veggies, beans, etc. here and have soup for lunch.  It's also great for reheating leftovers (today is chicken enchilada soup leftovers!).  Then, once in a while, I go get something from a restaurant.  Maybe every few weeks.

CorpCityGrl
by Bronze Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 11:49 AM
1 mom liked this

I am in NYC so I completely sympathize with dining out for breakfast and lunch!

I really do try to tame it though. I've gotten to a point where I buy lunch, at most, twice a week during the week and the rest of the time I bring lunch. I designate Fridays as don't bring your lunch to work days. For breakfast, I'm usually pretty good because I bring in stuff at the beginning of the week for breakfast like cereal and yogurt that will last me the week so I don't have to think about it and just go in and head to our kitchen area and pull it out. 

We have a Starbucks right downstairs, which is a killer. However, again, I designate "treat" days for Starbucks otherwise I'd be spending SO much more!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 12:21 PM
1 mom liked this

I keep mine to about $25/week. It is a bit harder in the nice weather, because it is so easy to walk to the food, lol!! 

I actually put on 1-2 pounds if I eat lunch out frequently!!

Unchained_Woman
by on Jul. 23, 2014 at 1:14 PM

I have gained so much weight since they moved me to corporate!! I blame it on my company, LOL! ;)

Quoting Marti123:

I keep mine to about $25/week. It is a bit harder in the nice weather, because it is so easy to walk to the food, lol!! 

I actually put on 1-2 pounds if I eat lunch out frequently!!

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Jul. 23, 2014 at 9:23 PM
For lunch it varies our corp cafe is pretty awful since it changed hands so its motivating me to bring lunch but typically around 25 if I buy three days a week or so
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Jul. 24, 2014 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

I usually bring breakfast and lunch from home because I'm not allowed to leave the property while at work (I get paid for my breaks) On the rare occasions that I want something else I'll usually convince one of the guys to get it for me or I'll find a place that delivers.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)