Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

calling it quits

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM
  • 4 Replies

So I need some advice on how to hand in a resignation.

Backstory --

For the past two and a half years, I have worked a "second job" from home doing some copywriting for a local company that markets baby products.   It came to about 10-15 hours a week and a few hundred extra dollars a month.  Not a whole lot, but enough to be able to pay for extras and get us out of a bind a couple of times.

The problem is the boss.   I've had enough of her.  She knows that this is my second job but won't respect me when I tell her that I cannot do something for her or if I disagree with what she's doing.  Then gets up in my face when it falls to pieces.

She consistently asks me to compromise my "real" job (ie do work for her during my regular work time or she'll have a "lunch" meeting with me and doesn't respect my time, shows up late and gets mad when I have to leave because my lunch hour is over).  

I agreed to 10 hours a week but she often overloads me with projects so that I have to work 15 and in some cases 20 hours or more.  Then when I invoice her for that time, she throws a hissy fit and refuses to pay me over the 10 hours a week we agreed to unless I can prove to her that it really took as long as I told her it did (after the first time I faced this fight, I learned to start clocking my time better)

She is unprofessional and blames me for "bad work" when her clients leave.   It has nothing to do with me.  In fact, several clients have asked me to work directly for them when they leave her (I can't because of my contract with her).

She treats other employees awful. I've brought her four new employees/contractors but none has lasted more than four months.   Which makes me wonder why I've sat here and taken it for so long.

There's a lot lot lot more to this, but those are my main issues.   Long story short, after praying about this and talking to my husband about our finances, I've decided to give her a FINAL 30 day notice on August 1.   I'm done.  I want my time back, I don't want her stress and I really need to start focusing on myself, my health and my family.  

However, I've gone to her a couple of times before with the intention of calling it quits and she tells me she didn't realize that she was overloading me, not paying me or whatever my chief complaint was, and I've acquiesced.

So, how do I do this to make it clear to her that THIS IS IT.  I AM DONE.  I simply cannot continue to work for her.   This whole thing is complicated by the fact that I work from home too.  Do I email her?  Do I call her?   Do I set up a lunch and tell her in person?    I much much much prefer not to do the last one because face to face I have trouble saying no.   

NEED advice.  Please help.

by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 3:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
the3Rs
by Platinum Member on Jul. 27, 2014 at 6:52 PM
3 moms liked this
Write a formal letter of resignation. Be clear in the letter on what your last day will be (it's best to give 2 weeks). Thank her for the opportunities you've been given. Then CELEBRATE!
HotJerZMama
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:45 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes definitely put it in writing. And do what the above poster said- give her 2 weeks notice, be clear about when your last day is and thank her for the opportunity. Do not put any of your complaints in the letter because you don't want to leave on bad terms. Good luck!
ColeAreeaJet
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:25 AM
3 moms liked this
Thanks! My contract says I have to give 30 days notice so that's what I'm planning to give her. Last day would be August 30th. I cannot wait!! I've put out some feelers that I might be open to taking on some other work and I've already got a few leads. Where there is a will there is a way.
reinydawn
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 4:49 PM

Definitly put it in writing.  My resignation was short and sweet - Thank you for the last 10 years, December 21st is my last day.  It was a little more than that, but not much!  I gave a little over 2 months notice since I'm a CPA and it was right before tax time.  You have to do what is right for you and not let her bully you any more.

It sounds like you'd do well on your own.  If you don't have a non-compete, you could set up your own company.  Even if you do have a non-compete (like I do) there are ways to work around it.  I'm not allowed to advertise or solicit withtin 15 miles of my old bosses office for 3 years.  But, if someone in that area contacts me directly, I can take them without any consequences of breaking the non-compete.

Good luck!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)