Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Looking for a job

Posted by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:32 PM
  • 5 Replies
Hi everyone. I am wondering if any of you might be able to throw out some ideas for me as my family is having a difficult time figuring out how we are going to be able to live comfortably with a new baby on the way (I'm 10 weeks pregnant). Right now we have it good. Have a lot of family to watch my 2 year old while I work part time as a waitress bringing home some extra cash. We will not be able to rely on family starting very shortly and have no one else to watch children (for free). I am hoping you all have some suggestions. I am totally 100% opposed to daycare (just not an option no matter what kind of job I can find and what kind of money I can make) Daddy only makes about 2,000/month at the moment. So clearly I need to find a way to contribute. I am open to ways to make "extra" money (surveys, etc.) but what I am really hoping to find here is a good work from home job and a way to have a set income. Open to spend some time schooling or getting certifications I may need. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!!
by on Jul. 27, 2014 at 4:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
HotJerZMama
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 8:52 AM
Unfortunately a lot of real work from home jobs through a legitimate company would still require you to have childcare. You can't focus on your job when you have kids at home. However, you can try those home business companies such as Avon, Mary Kay, Thirty One, etc.... I have friends that have been really successful with that. Another option is to get another part time job and work during the hrs that your husband is home. I hope you find somehing suitable! Also, check out Craigslist in the "gigs" section- although it wouldn't be a steady stream of income, you may be able to get something permanent after the employer or client sees your great work.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 11:47 AM

I ditto the first response, I find it near impossible to work from home with my children at home. I have 3 now though. 

I would agree that maybe some independant sales jobs are pretty flexible.

The other thing would be in-home daycare to help watch some neighbor kiddos while staying home with your own. I personally do not use SAH moms, but I know a lot of people do.

Good luck, I hope it works out for you!!

reinydawn
by Member on Jul. 28, 2014 at 4:39 PM

I agree that it may be difficult to "work from home" with small children, but it is possible.  Although I do not have small children any longer, I do have a "needy" hubby, which can sometimes be just as bad (hehe).  I also know a lot of people who have small children and are very successful with the home business I work with.

I actually quit my full-time CPA job last December to concentrate on my home business, which is now funding the startup of my own CPA firm.  There is no way I would be able to start my own CPA firm without the income from my home business.  I do marketing for a wellness company that specailizes in helping people fill in the gaps of their current income.  I would love to talk with you and show you what I am doing to see if it's something that would fit into your life right now.  Feel free to message me if you'd like to chat more.

Have a great day!  And the best of luck to you!

HotMama330
by Bronze Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 3:01 PM

You could try job bidding sites like Elance to help supplement your husband's income.  Depending on how much you bid and how often you work, it'll no doubt pay more per hour than waitressing.

ragdoll7777
by Member on Jul. 29, 2014 at 3:03 PM

I suggest getting opposite shifts from your husband, that way he can watch the kids while you work, etc. Most jobs are during the day but you can always work at a bar or something...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)