Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Son starting pre-k and I have to work!

Posted by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:46 PM
  • 17 Replies

My son is starting pre-k on the 25th and I'm crushed that I won't be able to be with him on his first day.  I am also a teacher so I can't take the day off seeing as our school starts the exact same day!  I don't know what to do.  I'm hoping daddy will be able to take the day off but he works in the oilfield industry so his schedule is never really set.  My friends and family live about 5 hours away.  I'm going to talk to my principal about it to see if there is something that can be worked out but I doubt it.  That is also our first day of school so I don't think she will let me get a sub or be late to class.  Another worry is that he will have to ride the school bus all by himself!!  I'm so nervous and hoping he will easily adjust but he is 4 years old and a momma's boy!  They will pick him up in the morning and then take him to daycare after his morning half day.  Anyway if anybody else has dealt with this issue please let me know and give me some advice!  Thanks!

Thank you for all the replies and advice!!  I really appreciate it!!  

i rock

by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 7:46 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Debmomto2girls
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:40 PM

I would talk to your principal.  I am sure someone could cover you for a little bit. What grade do you teach?

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 8:46 PM
if there is no way for you to be there, you do have time to get a friend or hire a caregiver to take him to the bus
Allieverwant
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:10 PM

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I would talk to your principal.  I am sure someone could cover you for a little bit. What grade do you teach?

I am going to talk to her.  This will be my second year teaching first grade.

Debmomto2girls
by on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:11 PM
1 mom liked this

Good luck! I know it is tough.

Quoting Allieverwant:

Quoting Debmomto2girls:

I am going to talk to her.  This will be my second year teaching first grade.

Allieverwant
by New Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:14 PM

Quoting calsmom62: if there is no way for you to be there, you do have time to get a friend or hire a caregiver to take him to the bus

Yeah I was thinking of asking my parents but they are in their 60's and a 5 hour drive for them would turn into a 7 hour drive and I think that is asking a lot.   I also thought of asking a friend but they work and it would also be a drive for them as well.  I'm hoping my husband will be able to do it but we aren't sure yet.

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Aug. 13, 2014 at 9:59 PM
1 mom liked this
I know a lot of our teachers have kids in the same district they teach in.. while its nice to have the same days off, its obviously challenging for situations like first days of school, curriculum nights, etc

Quoting Allieverwant:

Quoting calsmom62: if there is no way for you to be there, you do have time to get a friend or hire a caregiver to take him to the bus

Yeah I was thinking of asking my parents but they are in their 60's and a 5 hour drive for them would turn into a 7 hour drive and I think that is asking a lot.   I also thought of asking a friend but they work and it would also be a drive for them as well.  I'm hoping my husband will be able to do it but we aren't sure yet.

the3Rs
by Group Admin on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:01 AM
1 mom liked this
Same thing happened to me back when I was a teacher. We said our goodbyes at the bus, took our pics at home, etc. It sucked for me but he's 15 now & not scarred by it :)
LIMom1105
by on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:05 AM
I'm not a teacher, but I had to work on my son's first day of PreK. Not all the parents come (many are in the same boat). He got on the bus and went by himself, and he was fine:). I'm sure your son will be too, but it's disappointing to miss these things.

At least you'll have many school holidays off with him which is great.
Allieverwant
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:30 AM

Quoting LIMom1105: I'm not a teacher, but I had to work on my son's first day of PreK. Not all the parents come (many are in the same boat). He got on the bus and went by himself, and he was fine:). I'm sure your son will be too, but it's disappointing to miss these things. At least you'll have many school holidays off with him which is great.

That is true.  I didn't think about that.  Thank you!

Allieverwant
by New Member on Aug. 14, 2014 at 8:35 AM

Quoting the3Rs: Same thing happened to me back when I was a teacher. We said our goodbyes at the bus, took our pics at home, etc. It sucked for me but he's 15 now & not scarred by it :)

Yeah, being a working mom sucks.  You just hope your doing your best.  Thanks!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)