Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

4 x 10 hour days?

Posted by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM
  • 12 Replies
I may have an opportunity for a new job with 4 x 10 hour days. It would be a bit of pay cut but it is tempting because I could have an extra day with my son and this company has opportunity for growth and also claims to be family focused ( my company has neither). Does anyone work 4x10 schedule and think the sacrifice for late nights is worth an extra day off? Thanks in advance!
by on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:32 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this

For me it was difficult becausevI had a newborn and worked nights.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 11:45 AM
2 moms liked this
I loved 4, 10 hour days BUT partly because my previous 5 days a week were not truly 8 hour days, they were already like 9-10 hour days (I was salary)

Truth be told, I did not use that day to spend with my children. I used it to run all my errands, clean, weekly meal prep, appointments, etc. this made my week-ends more enjoyable with my children, less stressful. And personally I felt I was more efficient at the tasks then without small children rather doing them in the evening or feeling resentment about DH not pitching in.....
ljmom24
by Member on Aug. 18, 2014 at 2:18 PM
1 mom liked this
Both my work and dh have 4 10 hour days but one of those 4 days has to be a weekend and with school age kids it would lessen our family time. I would have to work until 7 so wouldn't be home for homework or extracurriculars plus id miss weekend games if a day I had to work. While I wouldn't mind having weekdays off to get them after school the trade off of missing school and extra curriculars wasn't worth it. The way the 4 days work at my place it's hard to take a day off you need to find coverage.
MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 1:13 PM
1 mom liked this

my husband's place of work has this option. he actually works 3-12 hour days.

it's a double-edged sword. missing shifts is expensive (holiday pay stays at 8 hours, for instance).  we have the issue of working opposite days of the week, so we don't get much time altogether even if our kids are always with one of us. he's been on the shift since 2009, though, so i think i'm just a little burnt out! 

Traci_Momof2
by Member on Aug. 20, 2014 at 4:51 PM
1 mom liked this

My DH used to work 4 10's and he really liked it.  He wishes he could do it again.

I would like it for the extra day off.  That sounds awesome.  However, I question if I would really be able to make it through a 10 hour day.  I struggle with an 8 hour day as it is.  It's not an option to me though so I don't have to worry about it.

leinaala09
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 9:43 AM
I worked that for 2 years. Enjoyed that day off, but became pregnant and am back to 5 days. The days are long, but it is rewarding.
Marci-M.
by New Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Boy, I'm not sure...I did have the opportunity to switch to 4-10 hr days years ago when working as a consultant...my oldest was 3.  I gotta say I'm not sure what you have set up for daycare, but my daycare provider kind of begrudgingly agreed to the new arrangement and it never really went well.  To see my child's sad eyes as I picked him up and he was the only one left did not make it worth it!  Plus getting up earlier did take it's toll.  I would say all in all, it didn't work for our family...but it may work for you!

bluelace777
by Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 5:13 PM
1 mom liked this

I work it. The extra day off is great. I have a baby so it's complicating at times to have him sleep for the night shortly after coming home though. I cook extra on days off because I just can't cook on workdays, and hubby isn't home to do it either. I get to spend more time with the baby with 3 days off. It's tough overall, but I'm finding ways to accept it.

sakpoints
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2014 at 8:06 PM
1 mom liked this
We have it at our work, but I am not able to do it in my position. It obviously doesn't work for everyone or we would have more people choose that schedule. Although no one to my knowledge has requested to go back to 5 days. We also have VERY flexible hours so they can still be finished by 4:00 pm every day
mumsy2three
by Shauna on Aug. 22, 2014 at 8:30 PM

My husband works 12 hour days~ 4 on 3 off then 3 on 4 off. I wouldn't be able to do it with his schedule b/c we wouldn't have anyone to get our sons where they need to be for sports and activities. It they weren't involved in activities I might be able to do it for the extra day off.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN