Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

Do you take the day off on the 1st day of school?

Posted by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:03 PM
  • 26 Replies
1 mom liked this
Normally I don't, but since this is a "big" year for both of my boys, I am taking off the first few days.
Do you ladies take off or feel its just another day so why bother?
by on Aug. 26, 2014 at 8:03 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ljmom24
by Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:25 PM
1 mom liked this
Well this year I had to because yds started kindergarten and first day was orientation with the parents. I cant take his first official day off because it's day after Labor Day and too many people off. I have warned then I'll be a babbling idiot.

Last few years oldest first day fell over sitters vacation so I had to be off with youngest. Since after school doesn't start until following week depending on grandparents availability I have to take some time off.

School started today so I'm off today and tomorrow. Today I did orientation and tomorrow we have testing plus I heed to sign him up for after school.
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:51 PM
I've never taken off work on the first day of school. Orientation and meet the teacher is the night before school starts so we do everything then.
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:58 PM
1 mom liked this
No I suppose if it were Kindergarten I would But 7th and 10th grade Im more like please. go. to. school. now...
Mommy2Boys0900
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 9:59 PM
Normally I don't. But this year my little one is starting kindergarten and my big boy is starting public high school (he's been in Catholic School from k-8). I'm nervous for both of them but I'm trying to hide it. :-)

Quoting adamsmom0116: I've never taken off work on the first day of school. Orientation and meet the teacher is the night before school starts so we do everything then.
Mommy2Boys0900
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Yeah, that makes sense. Last year when my oldest was going to 8th grade, I didn't take off.

Quoting calsmom62: No I suppose if it were Kindergarten I would But 7th and 10th grade Im more like please. go. to. school. now...
barefootNky113
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:01 PM
Last year for kindergarten I did and stayed up until lunch. This year in the first grade I also did. And I walked her to class and stayed for about 45 min and then I left. I probably always will. It's hard letting her grow up
Mommy2Boys0900
by Bronze Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:04 PM
Did you cry? Did your daughter cry?
When my oldest son started kindergarten, he cried like a baby....and so did I.

Quoting barefootNky113: Last year for kindergarten I did and stayed up until lunch. This year in the first grade I also did. And I walked her to class and stayed for about 45 min and then I left. I probably always will. It's hard letting her grow up
NHGal
by New Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM

I took her to the bus stop and waited, and waited, and waited, for the bus that never came, so I drove her in so the nanny didn't have to get the little one up and out the door.

Today I waited until the bus came just to make sure it did come and it did.  Tomorrow I am off to work at the usual time.

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:07 PM
Our school has a tea and sympathy for kindergarten parents the first day experienced moms pass out cookies and tissues
calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 26, 2014 at 10:09 PM
darn the bus!!! I cant imagine being a parent of a bus kid in Boston this week the bus union is encouraging a work reduction

Quoting NHGal:

I took her to the bus stop and waited, and waited, and waited, for the bus that never came, so I drove her in so the nanny didn't have to get the little one up and out the door.

Today I waited until the bus came just to make sure it did come and it did.  Tomorrow I am off to work at the usual time.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)