Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working Moms Working Moms

To buy or rent?

Posted by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:22 AM
  • 15 Replies

This is the first year ds can pick an instrument at school and he has decided to get a violin. My issue is I don't know if I should buy one or rent one. Renting one will be $60 for 6 months and it covers any repairs the instrument will need. If I buy one there's some online that are cheaper or slightly more expensive than renting. I also know nothing about violins so I would need to research to find a decent manufacturer so I don't buy him a terrible violin

by on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
suroundedbyboys
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:28 AM
I would rent to start and then if he sticks with it after a year or 2 buy one. Also depending on how old he is will depend on the size, I started in 5th grade and I think I rented for a year or 2 before we bought one. There is sizes that range from 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full. If he is young enough a full May be too big. Also I would loll somewhere local when you do buy, some places should do payment plans.
cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:38 AM

We went to the rental place yesterday and he needs a full. The only reason I even considered buying is it's $120 to rent for a year. Buying one from one of the top 10 manufaturers is $100

Quoting suroundedbyboys: I would rent to start and then if he sticks with it after a year or 2 buy one. Also depending on how old he is will depend on the size, I started in 5th grade and I think I rented for a year or 2 before we bought one. There is sizes that range from 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full. If he is young enough a full May be too big. Also I would loll somewhere local when you do buy, some places should do payment plans.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this

I agree with pp. I would rent to start out with. Maybe the first year. Then if he continues, buy one. That way you're not out a lot of money and stuck with an instrument that no one plays.

But then I read your comment about buying a new one for $100. Seriously?! I didn't know you could buy any new musical instrument for that! Except maybe a kazoo ;)

deccaf
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 10:12 AM

Until you know if he really likes it, rent.  If he sticks with it, you can then buy one.

Visit Investors!

suroundedbyboys
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:37 PM
I purchased mine almost 20 years ago and it was definitely more than $100, I would really question quality at that price point.

Quoting cjsmom1:

We went to the rental place yesterday and he needs a full. The only reason I even considered buying is it's $120 to rent for a year. Buying one from one of the top 10 manufaturers is $100

Quoting suroundedbyboys: I would rent to start and then if he sticks with it after a year or 2 buy one. Also depending on how old he is will depend on the size, I started in 5th grade and I think I rented for a year or 2 before we bought one. There is sizes that range from 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 and full. If he is young enough a full May be too big. Also I would loll somewhere local when you do buy, some places should do payment plans.

Mygirl30248
by Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 12:50 PM

Rent. I played flute for 10 years & had to get it tuned & repaired often times. Doesn't mean you will but I"m sure it's worth it to rent it honestly esp for this year being his first. 

Marz31
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 1:38 PM

I would rent while you look in local ads and online for a REALLY good one for a good price. I played the same instrument as my sisters and my mom always got them from newspaper ads, except the one she played, which is what I ended up playing all thru college (I have a music degree, but know nothing of stringed instruments, sorry)

cjsmom1
by Platinum Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 2:19 PM
Amazon has some really cheap instruments. The one that's online is made by the number 6 manufacturer so I figured it would be decent

Quoting adamsmom0116:

I agree with pp. I would rent to start out with. Maybe the first year. Then if he continues, buy one. That way you're not out a lot of money and stuck with an instrument that no one plays.

But then I read your comment about buying a new one for $100. Seriously?! I didn't know you could buy any new musical instrument for that! Except maybe a kazoo ;)

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 3:50 PM

Yeah, I'd stick with renting at first, too. I know violins can get pretty expensive! 

calsmom62
by Silver Member on Aug. 28, 2014 at 7:00 PM
rent then they fix it if he breaks it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN