Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how do you spend time with family

Posted by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM
  • 12 Replies

Hey ladies,

I'm curious to how everyone spends their precious time with their kids and family? I'm officially running out of ideas.

by on Sep. 23, 2014 at 6:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
the3Rs
by Group Admin on Sep. 23, 2014 at 7:12 PM
We enjoy biking on the bike trails. Sometimes we do board games or cards. We love watching movies together.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:22 PM
I have littler ones, so they wouldn't survive and/or prosper too long if we weren't constantly engaging with them. But we go bowling, movie nights, walks, biking, shooting nerf gun fights, bow and arrow challenges, marathon wii games, racing cars, sailing boats in the pond, zoo trips, farm trips, park trips, baking, artwork as a family, and we still celebrate and have a lot of family meals too.

I think I recall your two are older, so I imagine it does get harder.
calsmom62
by Gold Member on Sep. 23, 2014 at 9:33 PM
we went to the fair this weekend, sometimes we go up the Maine Coast ... our kids are now teens and they dont really embrace family time. mostly they are glued to video games or the older one is skyping with his gf
M4LG5
by Valeri on Sep. 23, 2014 at 10:16 PM
Our kids are involved in sports so in the fall they are in soccer and we support and also play together on the side. In the spring they play softball and I coach. It's not exactly "family" time but it's the way we connect. We also play board games and watch movies.
trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Sep. 24, 2014 at 8:49 AM

Lately DS has been happy with me just playing Wii with him. I do try to get him outside into the pool more now that we have one at the new house. On the weekends we try to get together with my brother, his 2 DS and DD so my DS can get some time with his cousins.

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 10:26 AM

We love movies, so we rent movies often and make a family movie night. My husband and I trade off reading to them each night. We play the Lego video games with our 6 year old. It's great bonding time! We also enjoy many of the parks in the area. We have memberships to the zoo and the science museum, too. We don't always do new stuff, but we do enjoy our regular ventures. : )

KenneMaw
by Member on Sep. 24, 2014 at 12:27 PM
1 mom liked this

We are very blessed to have a boat. live near a lake and have a long boating season (April-October).  We love to take the dogs and go to the lake to relax.

bluelace777
by Member on Sep. 27, 2014 at 4:22 PM

I just have a 10 month old so as long as he doesn't get bored with his toys or me narrating things to him then it's a good day lol. As for older kids you could see if your local town/city has events.

Lorelai_Nicole
by New Member on Sep. 27, 2014 at 6:36 PM

Depends on the weather.

If it's nice outside, we'll ride our bikes through the housing tract, or go for a walk. We might have a picnic at the school playground (our backyard gate opens to the middle school fields). My girls are in cheer and I'm a cheer coach, so we practice cheer and gymnastics a lot.

If the weather is yucky, we have several indoor fallbacks. A big favorite is turning the living room into a huge sheet/blanket fort. We have tons of board games, Legos, dress-ups...Sometimes we "play house" and let the kids be the parents. 

Alexis Emma 10-13-1999 - 14 years old
Kirsten Leslie 03-14-2004 - 10 years old
Sarah Mackenzie 08-14-2007 - 7 years old
Charlotte Amelia & Harmon David 04-12-2012 - 2 years old
Angela Victoria 06-09-1996 - 18 years old (niece) 

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Sep. 28, 2014 at 11:16 AM
I'm not big on planned structured time. They get enough of that in school and sports. Of we don't have a scheduled game or practice we let them take the lead. If they want to play catch outside or ride bikes fine if they want to chill inside fine. I've never structured things at home so my kids won't wait for me to plan something they will figure something to do. Depending on what dh or I have tl do in the house we either join or let them be kids and play.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)