• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Newby

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:47 AM
  • 2 Replies
I'm a struggling, hard working, single mom looking for help and confidence to change my life get some education as a medical assistant but my problem is how do I go to school, work, and be a mom. I just started looking for school that pay you while you train and I came upon this website.
by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:47 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-2):
dawncs
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM

Have you thought of attending your local community college? It is affordable and offers scholarships. Your financial aid is based on your income since you are a single mom. You can also do work study program on campus. There is also daycare at most campuses. I recommend checking out www.fafsa.ed.gov and www.fastweb.com for more information.

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
Inherited genetic Metabolic Syndrome diagnosed August 2014 (maternal side)
My Author Page

M4LG5
by Valeri on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:39 PM

If you are truly interested in going back to college, here are some things you should do immediately and soon:

1.  Identify your support group that can help:  family, friends, etc.

2.  Identify how much time you have to go to school.  Can you stop working and go full-time, work full-time and go to school part-time, or part-time for both work and school.  Don't forget...school is more than just classes.  You'll also need time to study.

3.  A lot of jobs that pay you to go to school are very limited and usually require more experience.  In saying that, apply for financial aid: https://fafsa.ed.gov/.  Whether you decide to go to college or not, you can still apply and see how much you will get.  I'm a college advisor and I have several students that are parents.  Apply for work-study and see if you can work and receive financial aid.

4.  Talk to a college counselor to see what it will take then develop a plan for yourself.  At community colleges, there are a lot of opportunities to take classes in the evening and/or online.

5.  What are your daycare options right now and when you are in school?  Not sure, talk it out with someone and find some options. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)