Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Need your opinion - office options *it may be confusing

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM
  • 9 Replies

I'm a college advisor.  I have dual roles in my job but most of it is coordinating/advising a program that works with former foster youth (program 1).  I'm here to really help them achieve their goals and receive a degree (and beyond).  It's an amazing job.  I also work in another program (program 2) to work with students that are low-income/1st college generation but I don't have as much responsibility since we have a lot of student advisors.

Anyway, because of my dual role in these programs, my office is in a small building so I can be available for program 2.  What is nice is that I was given a space for my students in program 1 which is right next to my office.  This way, they have access to see me and/or study/hang out in the other room.  This has helped build a connection to the program and, as as result, we are seeing students use the program more.   

Well, my supervisor told me they are going to hire someone (contract position but hoping to make it permanent) to help me out and take over a lot of responsibilities for program 2 so i can put more energy and focus into program 1.   Here is the catch....this person should probably be in the building I am so he/she can have access to the students that he/she will primarily serve but since we have limited space, my superivsor is giving me two options:

1.  Stay where I am and the new person will be in the building next to us where the other staff is.  This means he/she will not have immediate access to the students he/she would be primarily working with. 

2.  I go to the building next to us and get a bigger office but there is no space for the students in program 1 and it will stay where it is.

Grant it, it is literally the next building over BUT I'm afraid of a disconnect with the students that are in program 1.  They are former foster youth so considered "marginal students".  At the same time, the other person should be here to.

UGH!!!  What to do???????  Should I just give up my space and hope that it works out for me and my students to be in separate buildings?  OR...should I insist I stay in my current office to maintain access/connection with my students?

I'm sorry if I confused you.

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
dawncs
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:54 PM

I vote for where you are now. The more casual study space is more important than just having a larger office. It makes you more friendly and accessible than just having an office alone.

Dawn
Asperger Syndrome Published Author
Asperger Syndrome diagnosed May 1997 as an adult
Inherited genetic Metabolic Syndrome diagnosed August 2014 (maternal side)
My Author Page

JessiFaye
by Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 12:55 PM
I would stay where you are. I would want to be closer to my students.
deccaf
by Group Admin on Nov. 24, 2014 at 3:38 PM

Stay where you are.  The foster students need you more than the other students. 

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Nov. 24, 2014 at 6:48 PM
is the issue with the new associates access to you or the kids or both. I wouldn't move if it works for you and students it has to stay.
the3Rs
by Group Admin on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:06 PM
Not confusing & I agree. Stay where you are.
M4LG5
by Valeri on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:11 PM

Quoting ljmom24: is the issue with the new associates access to you or the kids or both. I wouldn't move if it works for you and students it has to stay.

The issue would be that he/she wouldn't have the immediate access to the peer advisors that work in our office.  My door is right there where they work.  They can still come to me becaue I will still be part of the program but not doing the work as I did.  If he/she comes in, the peer advisors can still access the person in the building next to us so it's not terribly inconvenient....just not immediately accessible.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2014 at 1:53 PM
The new person won't know the difference. It will be their norm to be in the building across the way. I would stay put and available to the students.
suziejax
by Member on Nov. 27, 2014 at 4:34 PM

I would stay where you are :-) by the way.. I currently after the hoildays want to volunteer with former foster kids! I am so exicted! I admire your job!

M4LG5
by Valeri on Nov. 27, 2014 at 7:31 PM
1 mom liked this
That's awesome! I love my job. These students can use mentors.

Quoting suziejax:

I would stay where you are :-) by the way.. I currently after the hoildays want to volunteer with former foster kids! I am so exicted! I admire your job!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)