Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Leave or Stay

Posted by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:52 PM
  • 5 Replies

I have a huge decison to make and not sure what to do and need some help/advice please. I work at a Cardiac Thoracic Surgeon's office I get paid good BUT there are only 3 of us that work in the office. Upon working there I managed to figure out things. I do 85% of the work in the office. The office manager schedules the patients procedures and give them the dates they need to know. I do referrals, authorizations, preparing charts (we are both paper and electronic!) scheduling some test, scheduling appointments, answer the phones, travel to another office, put charts away, pull charts, scan papers and documents, email doctor test so he can read them and dictate them, enter data in patients chart, I do roughly anywhere between 12-17 charts for Thursdays patients ( and when they come into the office I get their medication lists, insurnace, collect co pays and room them) I also do every other monday charts which is anywhere between 7-10 , and every other tuesday charts which is anywhere between 10-15. The 3rd girl does monday tues wed and friday charts ( we go different places so she does the other facilities that i don't do) with that said her charts don't even come close to what mine equal! She doesn't answer nearly half the calls i do, she don't put charts away, she doesn't do authorizations, and neither one of them admit to their mistakes! I've even gotten questioned by our FNP what they do because she stated she knows everything I do. When I am not in the office they go through my things to "make sure Im doing my work", I have gotten blamed for things that I have not done but they do not care they know they did it they just don't want their ass in trouble. I've only been there for about a year and i get paid good I am just tired of all the bullshit and laziness that goes on! Not to mention my office manager telling me I am big and need to lose weight, that she needs to approve a dress that I am wearing to a christmas party, that I need to go to the doctors for every sniffle so they don't get sick I mean one little sneeze too! I'm to make sure that if I take a day off that I do soo much that pretty much when I am not there that when i am gone they won't have to do anything at all but sit on their asses and bullshit! and when pile more work on my desk to do! Even the mail man jokes around with the girl about her being lazy and she thinks he is joking but he truly isnt! She will enter the patients name in the computer and thats it no date of birth no doctor or anything just a name, it is hard to try to get info when i don't have anyone to call! i had surgery and had to take a day off and when i came back I had sooooo much work to do that they could have done but nope they didn't, i had my tonils out and was supposed to have 2 weeks off work but i came back in on tuesday after i left monday from throwing up (surgery was on a friday) it hurt to talk and swallow my own spit, think they cared ? NOPE. They are perfectly capapble of putting charts away and doing authorizations, etc. but they are lazy! Another thing is that there are talks about making cuts! I need a full time job!

So I have a job interview tomorrow that will probably pay me more than what i am making now because when we spoke over the phone today she asked me how much i get paid now and i told her. I'm torn in what to do because my job now will be short handed and I don't want to put up with the shit before i leave and the questioning etc. Plus I will be missing out on a christmas bonus and party. So how can I word in my interview that they are talks about cuts, why i want to leave without saying they are lazy. ???? what would you do?

by on Nov. 24, 2014 at 7:52 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Nov. 26, 2014 at 2:30 PM
1 mom liked this
I am so sorry, I just now saw this post. You probably had your interview. But if not........

Use the canned answer "I am exploring my job opportunities in the field." And just do not elaborate. You never want to paint your employer in a bad light if possible.

Second, never worry about "leaving your employer in a bad way" as long as you quit with notice and in a professional manner. The business has no problem letting employees go, if it is what is best for them financially. You should think the same way. But make sure you give 2 weeks at a minimum. You could also tell the potential employer, your start date would not be until after the holidays, that would solve some of your concerns as well.

Third, the issues you identify with fellow co-workers, although annoying are COMMON. I have heard the same complaints about lazy co-workers & unfair work loads in EVERY medical offices since I became an NP 13 years now. And I have read about them on this board multiple times as well. I suggest working on mindfulness and focusing on being your best, doing what you can and stop the comparison train and care less about co-workers. I know it is hard, but it would improve the quality of your workplace.

And last, why is your supervisor commenting about your weight or dress? This is odd & concerning. Do you dress appropriate and professional for your size? If the answer is yes, then practice a retort such as "this discussion and topic makes me uncomfortable. Unless I am violating office policy, I find your comments offensive and discriminatory. Please stop." And make a note if it continues.

Good luck.
JessicaRMA
by New Member on Nov. 27, 2014 at 9:05 PM

Yes I already went to the interview, it did go well I have the job if I want it but I am not going to accept it. Reason I'm not accepting the position is due to the pay, I will be taking a pay cut by almost $2.00. With all the experience that I have and the experience in the field that applied for because I did work for GI doctor before and this job I went for a interview for was a GI doctor. Its not just the annoying issues its he is wanting to make cuts and is looking at things (like spreadsheets, cut one office out, etc.) As far as my weight I am chubby but not huge! She makes comments because she believes everyone should loose weight and workout and healthy,etc. The other girl there used to be the same size me and she lost 60 pounds and etc. As far as me dressing appropiate, yes I dress appropiate. I do not like to dress inappropiately, meaning showing anything. I never did when I was thin and I don't do it now and never will. I think it's because of a previous coworker. Me and the NP I work with work close together so we are close because of the work we do and all. The office manger doesn't like the NP and me and the other are not sure why. She made a comment one day that you don't want her to be the office manager (when she retires) because she used to a charge nurse when she worked at a hospital and fired people. I don't have a problem with her, she and I talk about office things that need change. The NP is also my boss too I have to do whatever she tells me to do and I do. The NP treats me like her co-worker - daughter she is very nice. I'd love to have her as the office manager because a lot of things in the office would change (change for the good) by making the office more efficent and less papers too. The NP is always telling me that I should go for RN even though she knows that I don't want to do. Right now we do both electronic and EMR. Sorry for ranting haha and Thank You!!

Quoting Marti123: I am so sorry, I just now saw this post. You probably had your interview. But if not........ Use the canned answer "I am exploring my job opportunities in the field." And just do not elaborate. You never want to paint your employer in a bad light if possible. Second, never worry about "leaving your employer in a bad way" as long as you quit with notice and in a professional manner. The business has no problem letting employees go, if it is what is best for them financially. You should think the same way. But make sure you give 2 weeks at a minimum. You could also tell the potential employer, your start date would not be until after the holidays, that would solve some of your concerns as well. Third, the issues you identify with fellow co-workers, although annoying are COMMON. I have heard the same complaints about lazy co-workers & unfair work loads in EVERY medical offices since I became an NP 13 years now. And I have read about them on this board multiple times as well. I suggest working on mindfulness and focusing on being your best, doing what you can and stop the comparison train and care less about co-workers. I know it is hard, but it would improve the quality of your workplace. And last, why is your supervisor commenting about your weight or dress? This is odd & concerning. Do you dress appropriate and professional for your size? If the answer is yes, then practice a retort such as "this discussion and topic makes me uncomfortable. Unless I am violating office policy, I find your comments offensive and discriminatory. Please stop." And make a note if it continues. Good luck.

JessicaRMA
by New Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 6:44 AM

I have actually decided to accept the position after what has happened in the office this week and because the other job actually called me back offering me more. Again, Thank You.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM

Congratulations! Hopefully the new job is more enjoyable for you!

Quoting JessicaRMA:

I have actually decided to accept the position after what has happened in the office this week and because the other job actually called me back offering me more. Again, Thank You.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 11:45 AM

Congrats on accepting the new position, glad they called back offering more! 

Quoting JessicaRMA:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)