Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

A 20 minute screaming fit...

Posted by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM
  • 13 Replies

Over panties.  Yep.  DD did not want to get her panties on this morning.  This resulted in her losing a few morning fun things, like being able to watch TV when she is done getting ready.  She also had no time for breakfast.  Thankfully, she gets breakfast at school, so I gave her a granola bar to hold her over. 

Luckily, DH has finally realized why I don't just give in.  Especially once it has escalated to screaming.  I did however, give myself a timeout for a couple minutes while she screamed. 

So, how is your day going?

Visit Investors!

by on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:07 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:19 AM

I'm so sorry. Fits are always stressful, no matter if they last a little or a long time. I hope this evening and tomorrow are BETTER!!

My little 1 year old has recently tried throwing herself down on the ground screaming when she does not get her way. And I actually started laughing at her, I know, not ok, I need more self-control. But it is really funny after having dealt with her high-needs brother, "I'm like really? this is the cutest tantrum I have ever seen in my entire life." It's like a a delicate flower little tantrum, she is very protective of her head and body with this little scream, not ttrying to hurt me either, which is such a change from dealing with DS. 

I am working from home with DS today. He is totally better today, but still had a fever last evening, so I wanted to respect daycare and keep him home to be cautious, since I can with my job-->so fotunate. I am procrastinating grading term paper. Have to deploy an on-line test this morning.

I love Spotify.

Beef.....it's what for dinner.

Yea, that's all the rambling I got for now.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Steph is not gentle with any body part while throwing a fit.  I have, however curtailed the hitting and kicking (she did that at about 2).  I can only imagine the fits you dealt with with your son!

Quoting Marti123:

I'm so sorry. Fits are always stressful, no matter if they last a little or a long time. I hope this evening and tomorrow are BETTER!!

My little 1 year old has recently tried throwing herself down on the ground screaming when she does not get her way. And I actually started laughing at her, I know, not ok, I need more self-control. But it is really funny after having dealt with her high-needs brother, "I'm like really? this is the cutest tantrum I have ever seen in my entire life." It's like a a delicate flower little tantrum, she is very protective of her head and body with this little scream, not ttrying to hurt me either, which is such a change from dealing with DS. 

I am working from home with DS today. He is totally better today, but still had a fever last evening, so I wanted to respect daycare and keep him home to be cautious, since I can with my job-->so fotunate. I am procrastinating grading term paper. Have to deploy an on-line test this morning.

I love Spotify.

Beef.....it's what for dinner.

Yea, that's all the rambling I got for now.

Visit Investors!

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Dec. 4, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Oh no! Mornings like that are the pits! Here's to a better tomorrow! :)

Luckily my DS never really got into fits. He is quite a piddler though so that's a good time in a rush. Ugh.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Dec. 4, 2014 at 12:20 PM

My oldest would have a HUGE melt down with underwear and other clothes.  She has issues with clothes, especially anything fitting.  She has an extremely hard time with certain fabrics.  Picking out pants is a nightmare.  She basically needs to wear very loose leggings.  She has been this way since she was 4 and now she is 11.  She finally found underwear she can tolerate but I still can't find pants.  She should be a size 9-10 or 11-12 but they are not loose enough.  When I go to the women's department, it's better but the waist is too big.  It's a freak'n nightmare.

The tantrums happened when she was young and I would just sit there and wait it out.  Now, I just ignore her comments about not being able to find anything and don't use a lot of my time looking either. 

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 7:32 AM
I was reading about her temper tantrum, and remembering back to the days when the wrong color underwear could send one of the calmest sweetest kids into a morning bowl of screaming kicking chaos...wishing you patience of Job and when that runs out , a
secret stash of chocolate so that when you have lock yourself in your room, you have Godiva to keep you company...
liquidtinkerbel
by on Dec. 5, 2014 at 7:36 AM

When my DD throws a tantrum over something like that, she can go do it in her room all by herself because no one needs to hear that early in the morning. When she is done and can act human, she can come out and join the rest of the family.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 8:32 AM
My oldest had sensory issues so everything had to be soft. My youngest does not but he has thrown 20 plus min fits over pants. I know its not sensory because he had to wear uniforms last year no issue so when fist fit was over same style and brand pant he wore all year I refused to back dowb. Got every excuse from i can't wear black tescher said I hate black to they fit. He pulled same crap over jeans and kept it up until we got to school at which point I counted all the kids with jeans that he claimed aren't allowed.

Hang in there dont cave it will only get worse as she ages if you do
deccaf
by Group Admin on Dec. 5, 2014 at 10:45 AM

I don't give in.  DH has finally learned to just walk away instead of trying to fix it.  I explained that if I give in on the little stuff, she expects me to give in on the big stuff.  There are times she suggests alternatives, and if it's a good idea, I compromise.  But I don't back down during temper tantrums

Quoting ljmom24: My oldest had sensory issues so everything had to be soft. My youngest does not but he has thrown 20 plus min fits over pants. I know its not sensory because he had to wear uniforms last year no issue so when fist fit was over same style and brand pant he wore all year I refused to back dowb. Got every excuse from i can't wear black tescher said I hate black to they fit. He pulled same crap over jeans and kept it up until we got to school at which point I counted all the kids with jeans that he claimed aren't allowed. Hang in there dont cave it will only get worse as she ages if you do

Visit Investors!

mattsmate
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM
we have (for the most part) stopped the clothing tantrums by picking out the clothes the night before. She wears what she chooses and that's it. Now, yesterday, she cried over not having rice crispies in the house. Even though we had Cheerios and fruit loops. Ugh!! There is always something.
mattsmate
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2014 at 11:32 AM
we have (for the most part) stopped the clothing tantrums by picking out the clothes the night before. She wears what she chooses and that's it. Now, yesterday, she cried over not having rice crispies in the house. Even though we had Cheerios and fruit loops. Ugh!! There is always something.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)