Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Gardens

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:53 AM
  • 9 Replies

I know a lot of the country is under inches of snow, but here in San Diego, we are having our usual winter weather.  A few cold snaps, but not too bad.  I have put some cool weather seeds in.  Like peas, cucumbers, a few herbs, etc.  Steph wants to grow corn, green beans and carrots.  So off to the garden center this weekend. 

Anyone else doing cool weather veggies?

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Just rub that weather thing right on in, why don't you?! ;)   lol

We are under snow. The high today around 25. Not much gardening happening here. In the fantasy land in my head, though - yes, it's warm and sunny, beachy, and lots of foods grow wildly so no need for a garden!

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:23 AM

We did have a cold snap for about a week.  It didn't get above 50.  I know I shouldn't complain, but that's COLD when you are used to something a bit warmer.  We will have another cold snap in a couple days.

I think this year, I may give Steph a shovel and some seeds.  Let her plant whatever, wherever and see what grows.  She wants to do flowers, too.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

We are under snow. The high today around 25. Not much gardening happening here. In the fantasy land in my head, though - yes, it's warm and sunny, beachy, and lots of foods grow wildly so no need for a garden!

Visit Investors!

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Sometimes we start seeds in cups or egg cartons inside and then transfer to the ground in April or May.

I'm sure Steph would love that! Growing things is really cool! :)

Quoting deccaf:

We did have a cold snap for about a week.  It didn't get above 50.  I know I shouldn't complain, but that's COLD when you are used to something a bit warmer.  We will have another cold snap in a couple days.

I think this year, I may give Steph a shovel and some seeds.  Let her plant whatever, wherever and see what grows.  She wants to do flowers, too.

Quoting adamsmom0116:

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:33 AM

We picked a carrot last night and we had it for dinner.  Well, she ate most of it.  I got like 1/20 of the carrot.  :(

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Sometimes we start seeds in cups or egg cartons inside and then transfer to the ground in April or May.

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Visit Investors!

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Yummy! There isn't much better than garden-fresh produce. We usually do tomatoes, a couple types of lettuce, yellow squash, zucchini, onions, radishes, and peppers. Sometimes beans or peas, and we've done some spinach before. Oh, and this year we did acorn squash and butternut squash as well. Good stuff!

Quoting deccaf:

We picked a carrot last night and we had it for dinner.  Well, she ate most of it.  I got like 1/20 of the carrot.  :(

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Mamie_85
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:39 AM

it's -2 right now. so, no. obviously.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Steph loves gardening!  She will only eat tomatoes fresh from the plant, will go to town on some lettuce, loves zucchini and sweet peppers, and will pick green beans for a nightly meal!  I love that I have a gardener and veggie lover!

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Yummy! There isn't much better than garden-fresh produce. We usually do tomatoes, a couple types of lettuce, yellow squash, zucchini, onions, radishes, and peppers. Sometimes beans or peas, and we've done some spinach before. Oh, and this year we did acorn squash and butternut squash as well. Good stuff!

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Quoting deccaf:

Quoting adamsmom0116:

Visit Investors!

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:42 AM

And I'm complaining about 50??  Sorry.  I don't want to be anywhere near negative temps!

Quoting Mamie_85:

it's -2 right now. so, no. obviously.

Visit Investors!

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:07 PM

no veggies here. sounds like you have a good little garden going, though! yum! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)