Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

small town living

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM
  • 8 Replies

really sucks sometimes.

I went to the store last night to get milk, greek yogurt, and oranges. They had none of that.

Seriously. Most of the shelves were empty. I know it snowed, but it didn't snow THAT much! There was not 1 single orange to be had. No greek yogurt.....The meat cases were nearly empty. Several of the produce bins were empty.....WTH?! Ugh.

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:44 AM

I grew up in a small town.  It is still fewer than 2000 people.  We went to the next town over to do grocery shopping.  You just can't get anything but convenience foods at a small town grocer for any kind of decent price!

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 10:53 AM

No, you're right. I usually don't do much local grocery shopping, but I figured milk and oranges would surely be available. Good thing I didn't bet on that!

Quoting deccaf:

I grew up in a small town.  It is still fewer than 2000 people.  We went to the next town over to do grocery shopping.  You just can't get anything but convenience foods at a small town grocer for any kind of decent price!

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:07 PM

yikes! there are some major downsides of living the crowded suburban life, but unstocked shelves are not one. 

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 9:11 PM
I grew up in a town so small the store was also the post office .. you either grew it, hunted or fished for it, or planned ahead and stocked up when you went to town once a month. Since we moved to MA we have seen how crazy people get here with a little bad weather ... the stores are bare of milk and bread..
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 7:07 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh man, I would not have liked that at all!

I seriously miss nothing about the town I grew up on with it's whopping population of 400.
the3Rs
by Group Admin on Jan. 7, 2015 at 9:21 AM
We live in a small town (technically a village, I think about 1500 people). We don't have a grocery store...
mom2boys664
by Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Yes, I can relate.  And yet even with their shortcomings, I'm glad our little store re-opened, becase they closed for a while.  Then if I needed something I only had Dollar General or CVS that were close. 

Marz31
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2015 at 11:31 AM

So frustrating! People get all doomsday when a big storm is approaching even around here tho, and I live in a large city area. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)