Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Self-Evaluation time

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM
  • 20 Replies

It's that time of year again!  We have to submit our self-evaluations no later than next Monday.  Ugh.

I keep track of the notable accomplishment throughout the year, and I have a fairly good sense of my strengths and areas in which I'd like to improve, but still, filling this out is stressing me out!

How does your company handle evaluations?  Do you have self-evals?  Or only managerial ones?  Is it formal or informal?

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:40 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Technically, the whole company does yearly evals.  However, my boss just kind of evaluates us throughout the year.  Tells us what he wants to see improved, what we are doing great on, etc.  No actual evaluation.

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:43 PM

It is one of my bigger complaints about the company. Last year, my boss asked me how much I made in the damn interview. : / He always wings it and clearly doesn't prep in advance at all for the review. It's very frustrating. I would like more feedback - or at least SOME feedback. 

the3Rs
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:44 PM

Wow.  I would really prefer that.  Ours (both in my current company - this is my first official eval here, and in my previous company) has this rather formal process.

I have to submit my self-evaluation listing accomplishments, strengths with examples to back it up, and areas to improve.  I also have to formally set 3-5 measurable goals for next year.

Then, the manager reviews that and submits their own eval of us.

Then we discuss and compare.  Ugh.

FINALLY, if all goes well, you typically get your raise or promotion in April.

Quoting deccaf:

Technically, the whole company does yearly evals.  However, my boss just kind of evaluates us throughout the year.  Tells us what he wants to see improved, what we are doing great on, etc.  No actual evaluation.

the3Rs
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:46 PM

I wouldn't like that either.  There has to be a nice, happy "middle ground" between way TOO formal with too much documention and none at all.  I have yet to experience that though, lol

Quoting MindPalace:

It is one of my bigger complaints about the company. Last year, my boss asked me how much I made in the damn interview. : / He always wings it and clearly doesn't prep in advance at all for the review. It's very frustrating. I would like more feedback - or at least SOME feedback. 

happinessforyou
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:48 PM

I'm frustrated on the other side of this- we get no evaluations. Everyone here gets the same raise/bonus no matter how much you work or how much you slack... :(

the3Rs
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:50 PM

Ick.  I would think that would make it hard to be motivated to do a good job.  Maybe I'll stop complaining about filling this thing out, lol :)

Is it self-centered of me that it asks to list 3 accomplishments, but I can't decide and want to list a bunch of them?  lol

Quoting happinessforyou:

I'm frustrated on the other side of this- we get no evaluations. Everyone here gets the same raise/bonus no matter how much you work or how much you slack... :(

happinessforyou
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Nope not at all!! Who would remember how awesome you are if you don't??? lol

Pick the top 3 that show who well you work with others... how much money you saved/brought to the company or how you saved your boss's butt!!! :)

Quoting the3Rs:

Ick.  I would think that would make it hard to be motivated to do a good job.  Maybe I'll stop complaining about filling this thing out, lol :)

Is it self-centered of me that it asks to list 3 accomplishments, but I can't decide and want to list a bunch of them?  lol

Quoting happinessforyou:

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Right?! It doesn't seem so hard! haha. 

Quoting the3Rs:

I wouldn't like that either.  There has to be a nice, happy "middle ground" between way TOO formal with too much documention and none at all.  I have yet to experience that though, lol

Quoting MindPalace:

the3Rs
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:08 PM

Thanks!  I will do that - I've got examples of all three :)

I'm totally stumped on improvement areas.  I have 2, though the second one is wishy-washy.  I need 3.  Ugh.

I also have 2 strengths instead of 3.  Tons of accomplishments, but hard to express in words what I think my 'strenghts' are, you know?  *sigh*

Quoting happinessforyou:

Pick the top 3 that show who well you work with others... how much money you saved/brought to the company or how you saved your boss's butt!!! :)

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting happinessforyou:

happinessforyou
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 2:19 PM

For me- I am verbally strong and math dyslexic.... lol

I have very high expectations for myself and co-workers. Things need to be done right the first time. Period. That is both a strength and a weakness which makes me not always a nice person to work with! lol

Do you complete tasks throughly and timely? Do you jump in and offer to help if needed? Do you realize that sometimes you need help and do you ask for it? Do you openly praise your boss/staff/co-workers when they do something great???

Does that help???

Quoting the3Rs:

Thanks!  I will do that - I've got examples of all three :)

I'm totally stumped on improvement areas.  I have 2, though the second one is wishy-washy.  I need 3.  Ugh.

I also have 2 strengths instead of 3.  Tons of accomplishments, but hard to express in words what I think my 'strenghts' are, you know?  *sigh*

Quoting happinessforyou:

Quoting the3Rs:

Quoting happinessforyou:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)