• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Job Search - Up and Down and Up and Down

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:41 PM
  • 9 Replies
1 mom liked this

I decided to enter the job market in November and started looking in earnest last month, which is NOT an ideal time to search for a new job! I have to work hard to keep my head in check because this process is so bipolar. Some days I feel fabulous and other days all I see is the rejection. 

Right now, I am waiting to hear back from a company I interviewed with. I know I'm in their top 2 or 3. And I have an interview with another place tomorrow. I got the interview through a recruitment agency and they told me they are seriously interested in me - they didn't want to interview anyone else. And I still have the potential of working with one of my current coworkers if she is able to buy out the company. 

I feel so ready to be out of this company. I have prepped everything I can for when I'm gone. Most of what I'm finding pays better and has a shorter commute. My goal is to get an offer before the end of January. We shall see! 

by on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:41 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Good luck!  Hopefully your coworker can buy the company and you can stay there.  I know you like the work, not the company.

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:45 PM

I would be doing the same thing anywhere I go, so yes, definitely. She would be a wonderful boss, too. I am hopeful, but I am not depending on it. 

Quoting deccaf:

Good luck!  Hopefully your coworker can buy the company and you can stay there.  I know you like the work, not the company.

happinessforyou
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 12:46 PM

About 4-5 years ago, I spent the summer trying to find a new job. I had 22 interviews and NO JOB OFFER!!! UGH.

I had to stay at my current job which I was not happy about. 2 months later I had a new job with more money and much better benefits and working conditions.

My point being that you just never know when it's gonna happen-so hang in there and don't be afraid to go for something "outside the box".... GL!!!

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Thanks for the words! This is my first time to really look for a "real" professional job; I've only had entry-level jobs that I worked my way up in. My dad said to expect to get an interview with 1 in 8 companies I apply for at best, and then a follow-up with 1 in 8 of those. I can't imagine 22 whole interviews and no job! I keep telling myself to remember the bigger picture. It does help. And I do have a job now, so the rush is all self-imposed. 

Quoting happinessforyou:

About 4-5 years ago, I spent the summer trying to find a new job. I had 22 interviews and NO JOB OFFER!!! UGH.

I had to stay at my current job which I was not happy about. 2 months later I had a new job with more money and much better benefits and working conditions.

My point being that you just never know when it's gonna happen-so hang in there and don't be afraid to go for something "outside the box".... GL!!!

happinessforyou
by Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 1:15 PM

I think they can smell my fear/desperation a mile away.... after I gave up and stopped really looking hard, I found an old employer had an opening. I called and they rehired me!!! :)

Things happen when they happen... relax and just keep plugging along. GL

Quoting MindPalace:

Thanks for the words! This is my first time to really look for a "real" professional job; I've only had entry-level jobs that I worked my way up in. My dad said to expect to get an interview with 1 in 8 companies I apply for at best, and then a follow-up with 1 in 8 of those. I can't imagine 22 whole interviews and no job! I keep telling myself to remember the bigger picture. It does help. And I do have a job now, so the rush is all self-imposed. 

Quoting happinessforyou:

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2015 at 6:10 PM

The job market is kind of hit and miss right now. Sounds like you've got some great possibilities though! Fingers crossed for you!

HotMama330
by on Jan. 7, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Best of luck.  What career field are you looking in?

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 1:14 PM

administration/operations. I'm currently with a curriculum company, but I'm interviewing with all industries. 

Quoting HotMama330:

Best of luck.  What career field are you looking in?

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2015 at 1:15 PM

i have the ball rolling. dallas has been one of the least hit economies, but i am also trying to stay out of downtown due to the commute. that limits some of the potentials.

thanks for the well wishes! 

Quoting adamsmom0116:

The job market is kind of hit and miss right now. Sounds like you've got some great possibilities though! Fingers crossed for you!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)