Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

whirlwind!

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:58 AM
  • 6 Replies

Friday was my son's 7th birthday! I can't believe my little man is 7 years old. He got 2 Lego sets (one is Minecraft - he wanted it soooo badly!), an ipod, and a new bike. My kid got an ipod! How is that real? His favorite bands are Beastie Boys and Gorillaz and Alt J. I look at him and stand dumbfounded. He'll always be my baby, but there isn't much baby left in that boy at all!

Friday, I accepted a job with better benefits, better pay, better commute, and upward mobility. I also turned in my notice, and was able to get a start date with my new company of January 26th, next Monday. This is my last week with this company. I've been here since 2007! It's a bit surreal. 

Saturday, my good ol' car hit 200k miles. She still runs great! It's a bittersweet milestone, but I'm proud of my reliable little car. My husband told me he has a friend who buys them at auctions and flips them. I am hoping this is the motivation he needs to look into that a little bit more. 

My MIL recently found out she has breast cancer. My FIL fought prostate cancer just last year. It's hard to accept that both of them are having to go through this so close to each other. She had the surgery last week and got as good of a prognosis as possible - stage 1 cancer with the lump the size of a grain of rice. They're still recommending 7 weeks of radiation based on her age, but overall recovery and success rates are very high. 

Today my husband starts his first courses in the school of education. He submits district preferences for his observation and student teaching in the next couple of weeks, and he quits his job in June to finish up his last year of college. 

2015 is starting off in a whirlwind! There is so much going on and so much change on the horizon. WOW.

by on Jan. 20, 2015 at 11:58 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:16 PM

WOW! You're busy! Congratulations on the new job - that's awesome!! Hopefully your in-laws will come out wonderfully on the other side of cancer. It's tough in the meantime though.

My baby had a birthday on Friday, too! He's 9. It went so fast!

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Good luck with all of that!

MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Yes, I remember discussing the 0116 in your screenname before. : ) I hope he had a good day as well! I like that it's so close to MLK Day. This year, he had a half day on his birthday, so I picked him up from school and took him to see Paddington Bear (which was adorable!). 

And thanks for the well wishes with my in-laws. They're tough people, but life has been enduring for them lately. Just one thing after another. Before the cancer stuff, my MIL was traveling across the country several times a year to handle her ailing (now passed) mother and her ailing (still crazy, stubborn, and difficult) father. I guess this series of difficulties just shows that they're the type of people who can handle life's rough patches. 

Quoting adamsmom0116:

WOW! You're busy! Congratulations on the new job - that's awesome!! Hopefully your in-laws will come out wonderfully on the other side of cancer. It's tough in the meantime though.

My baby had a birthday on Friday, too! He's 9. It went so fast!

the3Rs
by Group Admin on Jan. 20, 2015 at 1:37 PM
Wow! First I'm so happy that you've found a job that you really wanted :)

Good luck with everything! Sounds like there's more good than bad news so just keep focusing on the positive :)
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:39 PM
Congratulations on the job! That happened really quick!

I know the bittersweet birthday celebration. I still get freaked out from hearing my 7yo say "mom" instead of mommy. He knows football stats. He can beat me at any video game. He can read real books and write paragraphs. He needs real sports equipment and has started wearing mostly sweats like all those huge kids that were always SO MUCH OLDER, than my little guy dolled up in Gymboree and little boy clothes, and the absolute worst, he is starting to get a little squeamish and blush sometimes when girls hug and kiss him-------how is happening??? Is yours doing this too?

I am so glad they caught the cancer early!
M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 20, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Yeah....that is probably a very good definition of "whirlwind".  :)

Lots going on and good luck with everything!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)