Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

first week down!

Posted by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:10 AM
  • 6 Replies
2 moms liked this

I am coming out from under the rock now that my first week at my new job is done. I like it! But good lord, it's an office of men and none of them have a clue how to do my job, so I am just having to figure it out on my own. Plus, the position was vacant for 3 months, so all the files are 3 months behind. The corporate office is in Lancaster, PA so they're sending an admin down next month to train me on the programs, thankfully. 

Now that I've been there a week, I'm getting a fuller idea of what the job expectations are. It's mostly office management, with some customer service, packing and shipping (which is fairly technical because it's military grade equipment shipping internationally, so there is a lot of regulation), and then being an assistant to the CEO. That last part is the scariest to me just because I know he was the one that nixed the last person in the position. Yikes. He said she made several big mistakes, like book his hotel for the wrong month and not realize it until he's standing in front of the hotel, so as long as I keep my calendar handy, I should be good. haha. 

I really like it, though! I think I did awesome my first week. There were several instances when I surprised them because I caught on faster than they expected. Yesterday we had a huge shipment going out the door and they realized literally in the last hour that they'd messed up on serial numbers, so I went into the files and fixed it all and reprinted the paperwork and labels. They were so surprised that I did all before they even had a chance to tell me. 

And yesterday I left late, right in the middle of rush hour, and still got home within 30 minutes. That's glorious! It would have taken me close to 2 hours no doubt to leave at that time a week ago. 

by on Jan. 31, 2015 at 10:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 31, 2015 at 3:54 PM
So glad you like it!
calsmom62
by Gold Member on Jan. 31, 2015 at 4:22 PM
sounds like you are going to be awesome at your new job!
adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Feb. 3, 2015 at 8:42 AM

That's awesome! Sounds like you're off to a GREAT start! 

trfgirl56701
by Melissa on Feb. 3, 2015 at 8:51 AM

I'm glad you enjoy it :)

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 6:35 AM
Good to hear!
MindPalace
by Bronze Member on Feb. 4, 2015 at 1:15 PM

Thanks, Ladies! This week is harder because I'm running out of ways to stay productive without any real guidance. It seems I go from super busy to mind-numbingly bored. I have reorganized and reformatted a lot of stuff that needed some cleaning up, though!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)