Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

No tip...

Posted by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:36 PM
  • 11 Replies

Ok, I know this is a hot topic in a lot of other groups, but I think we can handle it like grown women.  I normally tip no less than 25-30% as background to this story.

Saturday, Steph and I went to Red Lobster.  Ordered, got our food, though some of the requests weren't fulfilled, like no onions on my salad, or no cheese on Steph's.  Got the food, it was good.  Their coconut shrimp is awesome, but you get 10.  I had 6 left on my plate.  I wanted a box. 

I waited 20 minutes while many servers walked by with other customers, dropped off meals, or otherwise occupied.  None came by that I felt I could snag without being incredibly rude to another customer.

Finally, after 10 minutes of seeing no one come by, even busy, I put cash on the table to cover what I believed to be the bill, with no extra for a tip.  If there was some change left over, whatever. (I know how much the food and drinks ordered were, added tax). 

What would you have done?

Visit Investors!

by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 2:47 PM

Dh and I often disagree about this. To me a tip is not a guarantee. Lousy service should not be rewarded. We were at the Texas road house and I don't like cheese on my meat. I'm not kosher but my dad was raised that way and still doesn't mix dairy and meat. I am also lactose intolerant but can handle in small amounts. Well my burger came with cheese. This was after we waited over 45 min for a table and just as long for food. They took it back and scrapped 90% of cheese off. I was offended and disgusted. There were other issues with the service but he gave his usually 20%. Really I basically couldn't eat my meal. Was never given so much of an apology even when waitress took the untouched burger away and was told not to wrap it up and given a lesson some people say no cheese because it's a diataey thing.

i get they were super busy but it's a job and you shouldn't be rewarded for doing a bad job.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:46 PM

We tip 15% for bad service, and around 25-30% for good service. I just feel too guilty leaving nothing. We have a tribe now, and I try to leave things clean, but we do drop stuff on the floor occasionally.

But, I have never encountered a situation like you did because we just start hollering at every server, "hey we need our bill." as soon as they walk away from their table destination, until one gets annoyed enough that they bring it to us, lol. I never really thought about that as being rude to the other customers.

I used to work in food service, like many of us, and really you get used to , "anything goes" because people are different........nothing to fight about imo.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:50 PM

As ignored as we were, I probably could have walked out without paying, but that's just not in me.

Quoting Marti123:

We tip 15% for bad service, and around 25-30% for good service. I just feel too guilty leaving nothing. We have a tribe now, and I try to leave things clean, but we do drop stuff on the floor occasionally.

But, I have never encountered a situation like you did because we just start hollering at every server, "hey we need our bill." as soon as they walk away from their table destination, until one gets annoyed enough that they bring it to us, lol. I never really thought about that as being rude to the other customers.

I used to work in food service, like many of us, and really you get used to , "anything goes" because people are different........nothing to fight about imo.

Visit Investors!

StreetsAhead
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 3:52 PM
Nope I wouldn't have tipped.
I'm pleased I live in the UK sometimes, a tip is only for good service and it is only 10%
deccaf
by Group Admin on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:01 PM

I tip well because I have a 4 year old.  No matter how tidy she tries to be, people who dine with children need to take the server's duties into consideration.  Normally, my 4 year old may take more time than a group of adults.  I think the US should require businesses to pay servers no less than minimum and get rid of tipping. 

Quoting StreetsAhead: Nope I wouldn't have tipped. I'm pleased I live in the UK sometimes, a tip is only for good service and it is only 10%

Visit Investors!

StreetsAhead
by on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:07 PM
Ahh okay.
Yep completely different culture here. I would never tip just because we go out with kids. Here it is very much an extra. The USA system seems bizarre to me

Quoting deccaf:

I tip well because I have a 4 year old.  No matter how tidy she tries to be, people who dine with children need to take the server's duties into consideration.  Normally, my 4 year old may take more time than a group of adults.  I think the US should require businesses to pay servers no less than minimum and get rid of tipping. 

Quoting StreetsAhead: Nope I wouldn't have tipped. I'm pleased I live in the UK sometimes, a tip is only for good service and it is only 10%

M4LG5
by Valeri on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:11 PM

I tip about 15-20% (we dont' go to a lot of restaurants that require a lot of service) but if they are crappy....10%

RonaH
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 4:13 PM

In my mind a tip is not guaranteed. Now I love being able to to tip great because that means the person was awesome, however there are times when the person is not so awesome and the is going to reflect in your tip. I would have made sure I got the bill but the tip would have been minimal.

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:37 PM
I think in your situation it was fine to leave the bill amount and little if any extra. The only thing I would have done is sought out a manager and told him why I left little or no tip.. Servers might write off no or a low tip as a cheapskate customer but if you have let mgmt know why they might get some feedback.
Jessiejack
by Member on Feb. 23, 2015 at 7:46 PM
1 mom liked this

I would have got a manager and complained. A very long time ago we had gone out to a self serve all you can eat. Everything was self serve including the drinks. We left about $8 tip for the little clean up they needed to do. The waiter chased us out of the restaurant yelling at us to pay 20% tip. We left and never went back. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)