Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

how can I be more tactful?

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:33 AM
  • 5 Replies
I work fro my cousin. She is retiring early due to health problems and hired me to learn the business and slowly take over the day to day stuff. Yesterday I innocently asked for an external hard drive because our system hasn't been backed up in ages. It led to a huge fight. She wants me to learn the business but doesn't want to let go either. Tips? Suggestions? I'm not complaining. It a good job. I just want to know how i can be more tactful and if anyone had tips for this situation.
by on May. 5, 2015 at 10:33 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
CraftyMom2002
by on May. 6, 2015 at 8:47 AM
Have you sat down with her and created a succession and training plan? If you maybe start by asking if she had ideas on what you two can do to help make her feel better that the business is in good hands? If the two of you can talk about when the transition will take place and what (if any) her role will be after. Then she can see on paper what you are doing to make sure it works well.

Keep in mind that it must be hard for her to retire early, and this may be even more difficult for her to let go.
AutasticMomx2
by on May. 6, 2015 at 9:37 AM
That's a great idea to sit down and create a plan of succession. Thanks! I know it's hard for her and I try to be mindful of that. This week just really got to me.

Quoting CraftyMom2002: Have you sat down with her and created a succession and training plan? If you maybe start by asking if she had ideas on what you two can do to help make her feel better that the business is in good hands? If the two of you can talk about when the transition will take place and what (if any) her role will be after. Then she can see on paper what you are doing to make sure it works well.

Keep in mind that it must be hard for her to retire early, and this may be even more difficult for her to let go.
CraftyMom2002
by on May. 6, 2015 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this
We all have those weeks! Good Luck! I hope it helps both of you.
happinessforyou
by Member on May. 6, 2015 at 2:28 PM

Maybe try being her "cheerleader"? Positive strokes like "You have everything so organized-it's great". Or "You think of all the details". Whatever you can do to stroke her in a nice way and smooth your road.... GL

P.S. Just like you do with a crabby kid! lol

AutasticMomx2
by on May. 7, 2015 at 11:02 AM
Haha! That's hilarious! I love it. :)

Quoting happinessforyou:

Maybe try being her "cheerleader"? Positive strokes like "You have everything so organized-it's great". Or "You think of all the details". Whatever you can do to stroke her in a nice way and smooth your road.... GL

P.S. Just like you do with a crabby kid! lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)