Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

let's talk about bedtimes

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 5:39 PM
  • 29 Replies

There have been a lot of posts in MC lately about bedtimes. Got me thinking:

Who are these women whose kids go to bed at 7:30 - 8:00? How old are these kids? What time do they get up in the mornings? Do they not have evening activities?

Here's what I mean:  Tonight DS has a school music program. It STARTS at 7:30. Won't be over til 8:30. No going to bed at 8:00 tonight.

Wrestling practice is from 6:30 - 8:00. No 8:00 bedtime then either.

Next week SS3 has baccalaureate (graduating senior) at 7:30. No 8:00 bedtime then either.

When skids have an activity (baseball game, play practice, etc) they are rarely home by even 9, let alone ready for bed by then! I will say with skids who are SOOOOO involved in things, it is rare (maybe 1 night a week) that we are all home by 9. It is usually well after 10 before the activity dies down in our house enough to sleep. I do try to get ds in bed by 9 but sometimes that just doesn't happen.

So - my question is: Are these 8:00 bedtimes really talking about little kids? What do evenings look like in your houses?

by on May. 5, 2015 at 5:39 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Group Admin on May. 5, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Well, Steph is 4.  We begin bedtime at 7:30.  She gets snuggles and may watch one of her LeapFrog movies once.  Usually asleep by 8.  Wakes anywhere from 4:30 to 6 am.  During the week, I wake her no later than 5:20.  If she wakes at 4:30, we stay up.  I get up about 5 anyway, so no use going to bed for a half hour.

Unfortunately, she usually ends up in our bed sometime in the middle of the night.  This child doesn't sleep well, never has.  I am actually celebrating 2 full nights in her own room, IN A ROW!

When she starts school, we will probably push her bedtime to a time that works for our family then.

calsmom62
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 7:26 PM
up until this yr, ds 13 was going to bed on his own by 7:30-8 unless we had scouts, and generally baseball was only one weeknight and more on weekends. ds 16 is in bed by 8 or 9 and asleep by 10 ---because his sports are right after school usually and he is home by 7
suziejax
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:16 PM

lol I am ashamed to tell my kids bedtime lol

Tiffanydshives
by New Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:18 PM
My kids go to bed at 8:30. They are 12,10,8,8. They get up 7:30 am for school.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mrsary
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:22 PM
6:30p is normal bedtime, but since we sometimes don't get home til after 6, we shoot for as soon as possible. We wake up at 5:30a. The kids are ages 5, 7 and 10. The 10 year old goes to sleep later. My 7 year old klonks out first.
mrsary
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:23 PM
Early or late?

Quoting suziejax:

lol I am ashamed to tell my kids bedtime lol

mrsary
by Bronze Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:24 PM
Our evenings are take a bath and go to bed. They eat dinner at daycare.
Diatech12
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:57 PM
My boys are 7, 5, and 2.
On an average normal night they go to bed between 7:30(usually the 2yr old) and 8pm the older two gal asleep pretty quick but like I just heard the 2yr old moving around and it's 8:55pm.

This is our first year doing base ball and the oldest a games start at 5:30 and end by 7 so home in time for bed. The 5ur olds games start at 7 and end at 8 so bed is usually 8:30-9.

I'm very lucky in that my kids love sleep. I have to actually wake my 7yr old up hard. If it was a late night I let him sleep till 8, if not he's up at 7:30.
ljmom24
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2015 at 6:17 AM
My kids are 6.5 and 11.5 and they never had a 7:30 bedtime. We get home between 5:40 and 6. Been that way through most of both their lives. Dinner by 6:30-7. No way they are ready for bed by 7:30. Not even healthy digestive wise. If it's nice out they get outdoor play time. During school year now they both have homework. My oldest does most in school but still has some depending on the night and we have been up last 9 doing it. My youngest they don't have homework time in after school for kindergarten so dinner homework unwind.

Now in the spring it's baseball and games and practices can run past 7:30. Still have to eat and do homework after. My kids get up at 6:30 and never been an issue youngest goes at 8:30 oldest at 9. Still 10 hours for the youngest. Only have staggered bedtimes because they share a room. If I attempted to put them to bed before they would just be up talking not tired. Sometimes they fall asleep early and just means they are up earlier.
BoyMom1315
by on May. 6, 2015 at 6:22 AM
My son is 18mos. He usually goes to bed 8:15-9:30. It depends on his day. If he got a good nap or not. I try to be flexible and let him go to bed when he's ready. He was never a sleepy baby, and even as a toddler a long nap is an hour and a half. He wakes up on his own about 8 am. I've never fought hood sleep cycle. And he trained for his toddler bed so easy! Now when he's tired he tells us "teef" which means he wants to brush his teeth and then he gives us kisses and gets in his big boy bed. I don't know what bed time we will choose as he gets older, but I hope to give him the same amount of freedom.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)