Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Working mom guilt...

Posted by on May. 5, 2015 at 5:42 PM
  • 23 Replies

My daughter's daycare is having a "Mommy luncheon" on Friday at 2:30 and I can't go. It makes me sad because I have been able to attend the Valentine's Day one and Christmas, etc. but I just can't make it work for the Mommy one. I know that she's only 2 and doesn't understand right now but these are the moments that make me feel bad for being a working mom. I think about the other moms that can attend these things and beat myself up thinking about her sitting there and wondering why her mommy isn't there. I don't like missing out on these events and I know there will be more but I'm just feeling really down about it right now. Daddy travels a lot for work and I struggle to make the best of it for her.

by on May. 5, 2015 at 5:42 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
deccaf
by Group Admin on May. 5, 2015 at 5:48 PM
1 mom liked this

Why would a daycare have that?  I would assume the daycare caters to working families, so to have something like that at a time when people work is almost rude.  Are they trying to make you feel bad?

MinglingMom
by Member on May. 5, 2015 at 6:01 PM

I've always wondered that too. When she was in a mommy's day out program, it was different because they didn't offer full-time care and most of those mom's were not working moms. If they were, they worked at that center. I don't know why a full-time daycare would do it though; they do offer part-time care but it seems unfair to exclude the full-time working parents

Quoting deccaf:

Why would a daycare have that?  I would assume the daycare caters to working families, so to have something like that at a time when people work is almost rude.  Are they trying to make you feel bad?

Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 5, 2015 at 9:50 PM

I am sorry! I have 3 kiddos and have missed my fair share of those type of events and will continue missing sone going forward no doubt. 

calsmom62
by Gold Member on May. 5, 2015 at 11:16 PM
1 mom liked this
we used to have a breakfast with mom/dad at a child care ctr I worked at-- like a little tea set up around 7:30 am..
ljmom24
by Silver Member on May. 6, 2015 at 6:31 AM
1 mom liked this
My kids school never schedules anything after school hours. Aside from the working mom thing annoys me the preach home school connection get up set dads aren't more involved yet never have a concert or event a night when most dads would be free.

Now my oldest and yiungest are 5 years apart and when my oldest started only a few kids had 2 working parents now it's at least half the class in my youngest class yet still function like most familes have a parent at home. They have programs for parents in mornings and now PTO only holds meetings in morning and they wonder why attendance low??? Yet there is a waiting list for after school. Um doesn't take a rocket scientist!!

Now why I day care would do that probably similar to why my kids school does it they are thinking out their a$$ not head. I make what I can make and what I miss I send a grandparent. It is what it is, I always tell them they can have me at every school events or we can have food on table roof over our heads. Yes I can take a vacation day but that means less family time off.
AutasticMomx2
by on May. 6, 2015 at 7:23 AM
1 mom liked this
First off, they are rude. Second, if it weren't this, it would be something else. You will always feel mom guilt over something. You are providing for your daughter in the best way possible. When she is grown, she will look back and see that you made sure she had food and clothes and shelter. Not that you missed a few class parties.
Toonkasmommy
by New Member on May. 6, 2015 at 7:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Aww honey I don't understand why a daycare of all places would do that. We all feel that way sometimes and it's okay. My mother worked crazy hours when I was a kid and she's my favorite person, we're best friends.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2015 at 1:21 PM

hey, i thought of you this morning, our daycare is having mother's day tea at 2:30 this Friday TOO!!! And I have patients scheduled starting at 7:45 until 4:30, so I'll be skipping it this year too!! 

mrsary
by Bronze Member on May. 6, 2015 at 1:25 PM
Are you a doctor?

Quoting Marti123:

hey, i thought of you this morning, our daycare is having mother's day tea at 2:30 this Friday TOO!!! And I have patients scheduled starting at 7:45 until 4:30, so I'll be skipping it this year too!! 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on May. 6, 2015 at 1:26 PM

nurse practitioner

Quoting mrsary: Are you a doctor?
Quoting Marti123:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)