Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Not complaining but...

Posted by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 3:08 PM
  • 7 Replies
Man. School supplies for 3 kids really adds up. It was just the main supplies for the kids, gym shoes, new gym bag for my middle schooler who will need to change for gym for the first time this year, the teacher materials like dry erase markers, baggies, paper towels, kleenex, etc.

$350. Gone. Ugh. Fortunately we didn't need to get new backpacks or lunch bags as last year's are still good.
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 3:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
calsmom62
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 4:55 PM
Wow. I stock up on school supplies and hoard them. Then the first of week school or so when the kids know exactly what they will need, I lay things out and they "shop" last yr since they each needed four or five binders I found buying them by the case of 24 from staples was the same price as buying three binders... our schools dont really ask for much upfront. the teachers dont have room to store all the paper towels kleenex and hand sanitizers if everything comes in the first of the yr so I tend to send things in when the kids mention such and such teacher needs something or I see it on the website.
the3Rs
by Group Admin on Aug. 8, 2015 at 5:57 PM
I've thought about buying throughout the year, but honestly I love back to school supply shopping and it marks the closing of summer, etc. It makes it fun to get it all at once. Just hard on the wallet, lol.

Quoting calsmom62: Wow. I stock up on school supplies and hoard them. Then the first of week school or so when the kids know exactly what they will need, I lay things out and they "shop" last yr since they each needed four or five binders I found buying them by the case of 24 from staples was the same price as buying three binders... our schools dont really ask for much upfront. the teachers dont have room to store all the paper towels kleenex and hand sanitizers if everything comes in the first of the yr so I tend to send things in when the kids mention such and such teacher needs something or I see it on the website.
calsmom62
by Gold Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 6:24 PM
1 mom liked this
I love school and teaching supplies supplies..I could live in a Lakeshore store lol

Quoting the3Rs: I've thought about buying throughout the year, but honestly I love back to school supply shopping and it marks the closing of summer, etc. It makes it fun to get it all at once. Just hard on the wallet, lol.

Quoting calsmom62: Wow. I stock up on school supplies and hoard them. Then the first of week school or so when the kids know exactly what they will need, I lay things out and they "shop" last yr since they each needed four or five binders I found buying them by the case of 24 from staples was the same price as buying three binders... our schools dont really ask for much upfront. the teachers dont have room to store all the paper towels kleenex and hand sanitizers if everything comes in the first of the yr so I tend to send things in when the kids mention such and such teacher needs something or I see it on the website.
kajira
by on Aug. 8, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Man, I home school, and I spend less than that a year for 3. LOL

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Aug. 8, 2015 at 7:48 PM
We went to staples. 2 kids list 75% done $105. Ouch. Would have been more if I didn't reign Dh in. No we do not need pre sharpened pencils or a 3 hole punch at home or twist crayons. Could have done without the $4.00 book socks which are on list but found cheaper on line but no dh points out sports ones. The rest of the list I can finish for short cash. But 3 stores later and I can't find blue plastic folders!!! It has to be blue according to the list and plastic. I will Check a few more and then whatever other kind of blue will have to do.
deccaf
by Group Admin on Aug. 10, 2015 at 5:27 PM

Wow!  I keep looking at school supplies right now.  I figure they are great project/craft items.  And if I find a really good deal, I will donate to her preschool/daycare.  But that seems so expensive!  I'm saving up now!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 10, 2015 at 10:02 PM

Yes, I shopped for some of the Kleenex and Clorox wipes, ziploc baggies, and things at Costco, man, that place is never cheap, but I feel stocked up for the year! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)