Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

If you have family insurance do you have to?

Posted by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:25 AM
  • 14 Replies

With our current insurance, we have to do an annual biometric screening to allegedly catch any health concerns early.  1) Do you have to do one with your insurance plan?  2) If you have a family plan, does your spouse also have to do a biometric screening?

by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 3:25 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 6:16 AM

We do biometric screens at work. Have for the about 4 or 5 years now. It's voluntary but they offer incentives to do it. You can do it in site or at your dr. People get worried they are looking to weed out the unhealthy but for privacy reasons hr cannot have access to personal results. We input the data ourself on a website so they just see stats. It has helped reduce health care cost. We have had either decreases in premiums or stay the same while most people I know have seen their cost double.

its only for employees (spouses dont have to) and my company offers it even if you aren't taking the insurance. Dh company does it to but it's up to the employee to go to their dr to it which causes issues if you arent do for a well check up. If you want to do you have to pay out of pocket for the visit unless you can get your dr to Bill it as a sick but if you aren't due for bloodwork that might cost you. Last 2 years I just used info from recent dr visits. Next year I dont need bloodwork so I will do screening at work.

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:12 AM
We have no biometric requirements.. Last year dh's insurance had optional ones and you were rewarded with employer contributions to the HSA for each adult in the plan who got a checkup, submitted the results etc..
the3Rs
by Group Admin on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:30 AM

We have a family plan, and no one has to do any kind of screening.

The only stipulation with any of our insurance is for dental we all must go twice a year.  If we do - we pay nothing.  If we don't, then when we *do* go we will have to pay an increasing amount depending on how long it is between visits.

MomMomMomMama
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:34 AM
DH has to do an annual physical/EKG/bloodwork/screening at work...but he works with nuclear power, so physical health and safety is a pretty high priority. We have very good insurance and I'm thankful for that.
michiganmom116
by on Oct. 8, 2015 at 7:39 AM

No, we have no screening requirements and we have very good insurance.

Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Oct. 8, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Being Canadians, we have a government health insurance plan that is not super expensive, but it doesn't cover many things, so, like many other Canadians, we also have to carry private health insurance.

The only screening we had to do for the private insurance was a doctor's questionnaire.  If from there something is identified, then further screening might be required.

This was an issue with my husband's application.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Oct. 8, 2015 at 10:11 AM

For my work we do.  They give us a discount on the premium for doing the biometric screening and then another for having improvement in a couple areas.  The total discount is $100 per month.  In addition, they contribute to your HSA throughout the year, but the one for the biometric is the most.  I don't have my family on my plan because DH has better insurance, but won't cover spouses if the spouse can get insurance through their work.  But if he were on it, he would not have to do a biometric.

Marz31
by Silver Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 9:57 AM

My insurance does not, DH's old insurance did, but then he also didn't have any monthly premium if he did it, so it was in his best interest. I don't know about his new insurance, but I get it. My company is self-insured and required screenings each year would help them budget better. but they would absolutely have to bring someone in to do it! or allow people to take time from work. if it's required like that, they have to pay you when you're doing it, in my opinion (and it would be what, an hour max?)

ikesmommy200
by Member on Oct. 9, 2015 at 10:00 AM
Nope
ILovemyPaulie
by on Oct. 9, 2015 at 10:00 AM

You mean a yearly "well visit"? They are usually optional but there's no copay for it.  Call your Insurance Company and ask if it's mandatory for you. I never heard of one being like that.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)