Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

It felt good, so I'll do it again.

Posted by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM
  • 31 Replies
13 moms liked this

Last year, I contacted a chaplain for a Navy base near me.  I offered to send a sailor home for the holidays.  I gave a limit as to how much I would spend, and a sailor was able to go home for cheaper than that amount.  The remaining amount was given to the chaplain to give the sailor as cash for incidental costs in the airport, etc.  The chaplain agreed to keep the gift anonymous.

I just emailed the chaplain asking if I could do this again with his help. 

Visit Investors!

by on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:16 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessiejack
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Thats great. 

callisto22
by Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Wow, thats amazing! I didn't know you could do that!

deccaf
by Group Admin on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:11 PM
5 moms liked this

I work through the chaplain, as they usually know when someone really could benefit from this.  He agrees to keep my anonymous, so I send him a check, and they get the ticket.  If I wanted to ensure that it is 100% used the way I intend, I could get the ticket, etc, but if I can't trust a chaplain, the world is in a worse mess than I thought.  I still believe in the good in the world.

Quoting callisto22:

Wow, thats amazing! I didn't know you could do that!

Visit Investors!

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Oct. 29, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Wow. That is a GREAT idea! And so nice of you to do.

tabicatinthehat
by New Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 9:42 AM
1 mom liked this

Fabulous and inspiring. Good for you. And I think you do more than believe in the good, you're a part of it. That's the only way to keep it there.

okpondlady
by on Oct. 30, 2015 at 9:56 AM
1 mom liked this

A few years ago after Christmas I took some money I received for a gift and invested in Kiva.com.  It is a small business investor.Mostly women in 3rd world countries trying to start up or continue a business.  I invested $25 for my first loan and keep re-loaning the money I am repaid.  I have over $400 in loans out now in 5 different countries.   I have only ever had 1 recipient that defaulted on the loan.  I figure since it only cost me $25, it isn't hurting me at all.  Plus it gives me the opportunity to help a woman in a situation that needs a helping hand.  You might check it out.  www.kiva.com

TANSTAAFL- There ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Oct. 30, 2015 at 10:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I am actually involved in Kiva.  I have been for a few years.  It is wonderful to do micro loans for someone who is really trying to do better for their family.

Quoting okpondlady:

A few years ago after Christmas I took some money I received for a gift and invested in Kiva.com.  It is a small business investor.Mostly women in 3rd world countries trying to start up or continue a business.  I invested $25 for my first loan and keep re-loaning the money I am repaid.  I have over $400 in loans out now in 5 different countries.   I have only ever had 1 recipient that defaulted on the loan.  I figure since it only cost me $25, it isn't hurting me at all.  Plus it gives me the opportunity to help a woman in a situation that needs a helping hand.  You might check it out.  www.kiva.com

Visit Investors!

amanda99003
by New Member on Oct. 30, 2015 at 12:03 PM
1 mom liked this

For the past 4 years I have done the same thing but I got through the minister of our church and he arranges everything. He has it set up through the Dept of the Navy for sailors to enter a contest why they need to be home for Christmas and last year 1131 letters was recieved by the dead line. It was very difficult to narrow it down to just 5 and depending upon just how many letters we get this year more may be going home for Christmas.

orchid369
by on Oct. 30, 2015 at 2:45 PM

That is really great of you. 

maureen813
by on Oct. 30, 2015 at 4:24 PM

I love that! Goodfor you, it is patriotic, practical and perfect! You have the 3 P's !

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)