Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Too many activities

Posted by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 7:18 AM
  • 17 Replies
My ODS has wanted to play football for over year now. I am not a huge fan , but finally signed him up. And then he started whining because he wanted to do soccer too. So I thought, ehhh, how bad could 2 actvities be in wee 2nd grade?

Well, sort of bad. We are tired and stressed and the seasons just started. aCK! Never again will any child of mine be in 2 sports at one time. We are weaklngs, lol.

Do you guys do this?
by on Mar. 30, 2016 at 7:18 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Jessiejack
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 7:56 AM

We do one sport and one activity at a time. My kids always picked music lessons as their second activity but one year my DD did girl scouts. Sports are a huge commitment and normally several days a week. Not to mention the cost

virginiamama71
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 10:21 AM

I tried 2sports at a time for my son. Practices worked out fine but not good when it came to game days. He had to choose soccer games first because he was committed to that longer. That left my son leaving his teammates without a player and sometimes others were missing too, because other children were also doing more than one sport.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:03 AM
The games all work out at different times. But I did not realize, the effort that football takes with memorizing plays and multiple practices.

Soccer is also way more intense than last fall. My DS was so exhausted last night, and the coach was constantly correcting them. He cried all last evening, once home, and this is my resilient, calm, easy going kid. So I know we have been way over zealous!!

Quoting virginiamama71:

I tried 2sports at a time for my son. Practices worked out fine but not good when it came to game days. He had to choose soccer games first because he was committed to that longer. That left my son leaving his teammates without a player and sometimes others were missing too, because other children were also doing more than one sport.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Mar. 30, 2016 at 11:41 AM

Steph is currently in a lot of activities.  Saturdays are crazy for us.  Karate at 8 am, swim at noon, then art at 3:15.  SUnday is swim, again.  Swim is a short term thing,t hough.  Just until I feel she is decent and safe in the water.  Karate is at least 6 months, and art has been over a year and a hlaf now.  Add in playdates and our biweekly bible study (every other, not twice a week), and we are scheduling out 2 to 3 weeks in advance for playdates.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:03 PM
You go mama, I cannot keep up that pace!!

Quoting deccaf:

Steph is currently in a lot of activities.  Saturdays are crazy for us.  Karate at 8 am, swim at noon, then art at 3:15.  SUnday is swim, again.  Swim is a short term thing,t hough.  Just until I feel she is decent and safe in the water.  Karate is at least 6 months, and art has been over a year and a hlaf now.  Add in playdates and our biweekly bible study (every other, not twice a week), and we are scheduling out 2 to 3 weeks in advance for playdates.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:24 PM

It's not easy and requires the use of a calendar that goes everywhere with me.  And days when someone isn't feeling well get totally cancelled. 

Quoting Marti123: You go mama, I cannot keep up that pace!!
Quoting deccaf:

Visit Investors!

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:38 PM

We are a one sport at a time family and a lot has to do with two full time jobs. As it is we rely on grandparents to get them to games and practices that happy mid week because they start at 5 or 5:30 and DH and I get out of work at 4:30 and 5 and we just cant get there in time. One year I let them do flag football and baseball at the same time. So many kids do the flag football they cant have baseball on same day and football was only 1 day so we caved. At the time YDS was just in tball so it was only once a week and ODS baseball coach still had practice for the handfull of kids who didn't play so we were either going to be at football field or ball park anyway. The ended up hating the flag football so never again.

Its hard enough with 2 kids in sports. This will be the first year they are both playing on teams that are more than just a 1 day commitment so we are trying to figure out who goes where, when and with who for one sport let alone multiples. They do do karate but its part of an after school so I never count it as an activity but ion karate night they cant make baseball. Its a timing thing. Some coaches are fine with this others give us an attitude but we need a place for him to go after school and it just doesnt let out in time to make both. We will on occassions make arragnments for games but never for practices.

Now next year ODS is on a travel team for hockey and I am dreading that. Baseball is 3-4 days a week but its 2-3 months; this is 7 - 8 months. The good thing being that he is older he practices late so we can get home do homework have dinner but he gets home late. YDS wanted to try out too and he does need more time in the developmental but it would have been impossible. First we cant make his age group practice at the begining and end of year (they get bumped up an hour during the high school season) even if we could we would have to have one there from 5-6 and the other 8-9. At least the rink isnt THAT far away but still. The following year I am not sure how we will handle it....

mag12305cmg
by Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 12:46 PM

Right now we just have one activity. We have to add swim lessons to it, but I have to see if the classes conflict with soccer practice (and games) first.

virginiamama71
by Bronze Member on Mar. 30, 2016 at 1:40 PM

I don't think it's good for children to play more than one sport at a time. My son practiced twice a week with his basketball team. When it was game day he played in the games on Saturday but not every game on Sunday if there was a soccer game. Both sports were travel. His basketball teammates were also doing twice a week practice and not showing up for games or running in a in the middle or end. Also subs were bought in. So they never got to form a team. It's alot better for him to focus on one sport in a season.

Quoting Marti123: The games all work out at different times. But I did not realize, the effort that football takes with memorizing plays and multiple practices. Soccer is also way more intense than last fall. My DS was so exhausted last night, and the coach was constantly correcting them. He cried all last evening, once home, and this is my resilient, calm, easy going kid. So I know we have been way over zealous!!
Quoting virginiamama71:

my3arrows
by on Mar. 31, 2016 at 11:17 PM
I love how interested in various activities my kids are - but when it feels like a burden it's not fun! 

If it's wearing on you all, I'd throw in the towel on one of them! Have him choose his absolute favorite and go all in with that. 

We have ended activities that required too much of our time. You'll have your best moments with time at home with each other instead of frantically running to this practice or that game. You do what's best for your family!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)