Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Are you where you wanted to be in life at this time?

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:29 AM
  • 14 Replies

I have the American dream but I am not happy with myself career-wise!  Seriously thinking about a career change but scared to make the switch since I am nearing the big 4-0!

Are you where you wanted to be in life at this time?  What about in your career?

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 1:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marie207
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:27 AM

That is the time to make a change.  Girl 40 is still young.  I am doing somewhat good, but thought I would be holding about a million is savings and a home paid for already in Los Angeles.  Maybe I will retire "renting" there,  lol

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:32 AM

I guess I still haven't decided what I want to do when I grow up. Life takes turns and sometimes a job with flexibility and good benefits is better than an advancing career but eventually my company is going to have to close. newest prediction 3-5 years and then I really have decided where to go from there.

i no longer work in the field I went to school so then what? Given my age I'm guessing 15 years of experience vs 20 plus year old degree probably holds more weight to stay in higher Ed vs legal. With the kids getting older and college looming I'm thinking of moving on to a local university. Preferably one that offers tuition benefits to families. Although many of the same regulation and policy changes affecting my work is affection colleges too so they are cutting staff and benefits so who knows. 

So we have 2 kids, own our home, I have two college degrees but if this is the American Dream they should rename it the american nightmare. Median home prices here are insane. We are recovering from the bubble burst which means yes we have equity again but we'd be house poor if we upgraded so we live in our tiny house that's showing its age and drive a 12 year old car. On paper we look damn good....if we lived probably in another part of the country but here in the northeast a family of four can make 6 figures and still be underwater just with day to day living expenses. We don't spend a lot just things cost more. Now that we are done with day care things look a lot better and our child care expenses for ods are next to nothing.... Ok sorry ranted a littke a it this so called American Dream.

jjames1990
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:36 AM
I planned on my career being downsized by now. I took a job two years ago, lower level, after dummy downing my resume. Two years later I'm the CEO, with the weight of a 10 million a year business on my shoulders. Not what I wanted and I'm thinking of stepping away.

Other than that I am very happy with where I am. I've never been one for the American dream. I have my dream though.

What do you do? What do you want to do?
SneezyAl
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 6:36 AM
I am very happy where I am. I would like to have less debt that I am working on. I was contacted about a job last month and although I wasn't looking I may take the new job if things work out. The company is waiting to see if they win a federal contract and if they do they want to hire me to work on it. Kind of scary to make such a drastic change but I wouldn't mind the challenge of something new.

I am 40 and so many of my friends are making career changes.
ame4c
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:19 AM
I am but it took a lot of hard work to get here.
143myboys9496
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:24 AM
1 mom liked this
Yes. I worked hard for my degree. I love what I do. I've never had the desire for management, I don't want to take my work home with me and work hours I'm not paid for.
Plus, I don't do this job to manage people, I do this job to take care of people.
Jessiejack
by Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 7:54 AM

I love my job. The pay sucks but we have good benifits and I love the people I work with

theResidentCat
by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 8:14 AM
1 mom liked this

ya know its funny I went to a workshop at work on Tuesday about generation in the work place. And one thing we as Generation X agreed on, was that we in our forties typically change careers around that time. Reasons for new adventure, being burned out, returning to work after being SAHM. Its really not uncommon that you are changing your career at that age. Hell Im 44 and stilol going to school this time for my BAS.

WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 4:51 PM

I am happy where I am. 

ChillaxinChick
by New Member on Apr. 8, 2016 at 5:56 PM
1 mom liked this

Hell no...not even close! I'd like to finish college to earn my degree. I'll be fully invested in my job in 2 years, which will give me 15 years with the company. I see myself making a job chance since my two beloved big bosses will be retiring and frankly I don't want to be here when they leave. Not certain what will happen with my marriage. Guess time will tell, huh? I'd like to continue to learn about myself and try new things. Kindle some true friendships with other women since over the years I've put my social life on the backburner because I was hung up on being a mom and a wife and didn't want to piss off the other half. I've come pretty far in my 36 years of life on this earth, but I am looking foward to seeing where this journey goes for me. Life is hard, but sweet. I am blessed and I am not a quitter. Thank you for posting this thread. I need to figure my shit out  and move forward step by step...day by day! ;-)

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)