• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

what a difference a year makes (warning mom brag)

Posted by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:21 PM
  • 5 Replies
4 moms liked this

So last year was a really bad year for ODS. Around late January early February he was having issues with classmates, his grades slipped, he withdrew from activities (we let him because we felt it would limit some of the teasing) He also got braces and glasses with a two month period. While the school was the same it was his first year in middle school so there were normal adjustments and he is on younger end for his grade. Kids who were his friends went different ways. It happens but when you are 11 its devastating.

We had another rocky start to the year in September. New teachers, new sped coordinator who wasn’t as on top of him and he nearly failed a few classes and even his strongest subject which he can get an A in his sleep he only got a B because of missing work. It’s his normal MO gets behind and it steam rolls him even his attitude. We are really try to work with preventing it to get there so looking already for ideas for the start of 8th grade not end up here. The slack from 1st quarter carried over to 2nd but he rebounded. The teachers see his potential so they are on him. About mid way through this quarter I get an email from the sped teacher about motivating him for honor roll. DS needs to learn poker cause he has a good poker face to everyone but me and DH. She didn’t think she got to him but she did. From that day on I got nothing but good emails and all grades for 3rd quarter posted and he did it.

Social he has rebounded too. Connected with friends he hadn’t chummed with in a while and some new ones. He is constantly on skype or playing on line games. Most of his friends are in same boat with working parents so still in after school programs and no time for hanging out after school. In December he announced he wants to play hockey and I caved. He learned to skate and did a cross ice program when he was younger but had to start all over and he was never bothered by sharing the ice with 4-8 year olds. Then in March came try outs and those other kids were leaps and bounds ahead of him and he never gave up. Held his head high and tried his best (thank God for everyone makes a team but I think I need to sit in lobby away from other parents until I gage how cut throat they are).

Some decisions we made last year people questioned but he took a year off baseball and my gut was right. He realized he liked playing and missed it and is real excited to be back this year. He is getting more independent too. I am leaving work early to show him how to walk home from school. Next month he is interviewing with camp to be a CIT. To think this time last year he was so miserable I dragged him to a shrink.

by on Apr. 8, 2016 at 12:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-5):
mrsary
by Bronze Member on Apr. 10, 2016 at 6:39 PM
Bump
Butterfly1108
by on Apr. 11, 2016 at 10:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Good for you and him...it was just a matter of time for him to realize what he enjoys doing.

Both of you keep up the great work ;)

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 12, 2016 at 11:39 AM
1 mom liked this

I am really happy to read this. I know a lot of emotional turmoil, worry and fear of the future goes into all our children, but those with more challanges, it's even more relentless. 

I am proud of him and you mama!! Remember this high, cherish it and may it give strength and confidence through the adolescent ride ahead!!

cupcake2819
by on Apr. 13, 2016 at 12:52 PM
1 mom liked this

Glad he is turning around for the better!

Goldfishkitty
by on Apr. 14, 2016 at 12:55 AM
Having to deal with a less than stellar mom on a near daily basis, I NEED these stories. Please, brag!
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)