• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Resumes

Posted by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:33 PM
  • 4 Replies

Do you write your own, creatively? Do you use a template? Or do you base yours off of examples found elsewhere?

Its time for me to write another, updated, resume and I'm having trouble fitting everything on to two, compact, pages. 

by on Aug. 6, 2016 at 3:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-4):
1kidmomajm
by Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 7:49 PM

I've basically been using the same format since forever. When I was younger my sister worked for a hiring agency so she taught me some stuff about my resume. 

Why can't you keep it at two pages? You don't need to include every job unless that is what fills two pages. Your descriptions of your job duties for each job doesn't need to be long sentences. 3 pages is probably ok. Most resumes are email attachements, so the person isn't fidling with loose papers.

My name, phone and email are at the top, centered and bolded. Then on the left not centered single spaced, double space between jobs

EDUCATION

Blah blah college

BS- Therapeutic Recreation, 1989

EXPERIENCE

Blah Blah Animal Hospital

Receptionist/Billing, Full time

August 2013 to Present

Duties include - check clients in and out, schedule appointments and sugeries, fill prescriptions, daily closeout. Welcome, thank you and sympathy cards. Monthly billing statements, contact clients regarding billing issues, prepare court papers. Client education regarding current medical care and products. Some experience with Restraint and nail trims.

Blah Blah Blah Animal Hospital

Receptionist, Part time

November 2000 to July 2013

Duties included, answering phones, checking clients in and out, scheduling appointments, blah blah blah

Blah Blah Property Management

Administrative Assistant, Part time

September 2005 to March 2007

Duties included, blah blah blah

CERTIFICATIONS

Animal CPR 

Blah blah Acredation

Current through September 2017

REFERENCES

Available upon request

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 7, 2016 at 9:37 PM
Well, I have a CV, so those things are crazy long. But when I shorten it for more a resume thing. I use the classic template of job experience, education. Extras at the end. I just cut off he least important stuff to fit it on two pages.

Why is you so long? What format are you using?
Sydel
by Bronze Member on Aug. 10, 2016 at 11:19 AM

I used a template then turned it into the career center at my college. They revised it, I revised it, 5 days letter and it was done. I have worked with 3 companies since graduation and just updated the damn thing.

Tableforsix
by Member on Aug. 10, 2016 at 5:11 PM

My husband had to do resume classes in order to get out of the army. I copied a resume template in one of his books that was skills based since I don't have any employment history to speak of. I have 12 years of volunteer experience though so I put that under a heading titled Relative Experience. 

And yeah, you only have to list the jobs that relate to the position you want, and only go back so many years. I didn't include my stint as a JCP shoe salesperson because that didn't relate to my Red Cross job I interviewed for. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)