Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Just a curious question

Posted by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:39 AM
  • 11 Replies
1 mom liked this

Mobile Photo

Is there a cut off age for trick or treating?
I have 2 boys ages 11 and 14...
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
theResidentCat
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 10:08 AM
1 mom liked this

My oldest as a teenager did not care to trick or treat because in her mind it was a child thing... so she cut herself off. My ten year old is going with her cousins ages vary between 3-9.

I think preteen stage is rough and would allow it through that age span because they are not young but they are not old enough yet to be able to do their own thing yet. So probably 13 would be the cut off for me.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:12 AM
1 mom liked this
I would take them as long as they want. It's better than being out at inappropriate activities.
Wellygrrl
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:15 AM
1 mom liked this
Jr high/ middle school
M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:24 AM
1 mom liked this
As long as they dress up, I don't care. I think it should be ok for adults to go as well. I dress up every year.
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Oct. 22, 2016 at 11:33 AM
1 mom liked this
My oldest never liked Halloween so he stopped st 10 or 11. We don't get a lot of trick or treaters on our end of the street so we give even to the teens who half a$$ the costume (or at least I do ...better they eat the candy or I will but dh gets what he wants knowing we don't get a lot)
theResidentCat
by on Oct. 22, 2016 at 8:10 PM
1 mom liked this

I do care though. Too often I have seen these older preteens trick or treating together without parent around act very assholish. It is actually more common than not common. I see them pushing young kids down, shoving them out of the way, doing property damage, so forth. Teenagers are just as bad they hang out in group and their common sense flies right out the freaking door. So ya I am not a fan of preteens or teens trick or treating as groups and being super annoying. I also do not think they belong at local community events that really are structured for younger children.

We had issues this last year the city put together a huge easter hunt the preteens and teens were acting like asses grabbing eggs knocking kids down, laughing, rolling eyes at angry parents, not giving a damn showing off for eachother.... So ya they become a problem.

Quoting M4LG5: As long as they dress up, I don't care. I think it should be ok for adults to go as well. I dress up every year.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Oct. 22, 2016 at 10:44 PM
1 mom liked this
Well...I don't. Yes, they are annoying but I see small kids that are assholeish too...and their parents are bigger ones. So, as long as kids and adults are dressed up and not being an asshole, they get candy.

Quoting theResidentCat:

I do care though. Too often I have seen these older preteens trick or treating together without parent around act very assholish. It is actually more common than not common. I see them pushing young kids down, shoving them out of the way, doing property damage, so forth. Teenagers are just as bad they hang out in group and their common sense flies right out the freaking door. So ya I am not a fan of preteens or teens trick or treating as groups and being super annoying. I also do not think they belong at local community events that really are structured for younger children.

We had issues this last year the city put together a huge easter hunt the preteens and teens were acting like asses grabbing eggs knocking kids down, laughing, rolling eyes at angry parents, not giving a damn showing off for eachother.... So ya they become a problem.

Quoting M4LG5: As long as they dress up, I don't care. I think it should be ok for adults to go as well. I dress up every year.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Oct. 23, 2016 at 7:43 AM
The only place we have crowds on trick or treat are the neighborhoods where parents drink during truck or treat. Go to a friend's house your kid gets candy you get a red solo cup fill up. Now I don't have an issue per say with that BUT a lot of these adults just can't hold their booze and they become being assholes then any pushy teen or whinny kid.

There are always good and bad of all age groups. I've have elementary age kids push and shove my kids when they were toddlers out on Halloween. I've seen teens let my ds go first. It's not the age it's how they were raised. There are good polite teens and theurbare bratty kids and there are asshole parents. It's also part of life. Unless the teens are shaking down kids for their candy they just don't bother me.

Quoting theResidentCat:

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Oct. 24, 2016 at 4:28 PM
I am fine with any age.
Sydel
by Bronze Member on Oct. 31, 2016 at 12:13 PM

Nope. I straight got me a cotton candy on Saturday when we hit up the house giving them away! My oldest and her friend are pushing 15 and they went out. There were a lot of teens out. I will say though that my dd spent most of her night showing the little kids her pet rat and answering questions. So her candy intake was pretty limited.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)