• In the Spotlight:
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

eating vegetables

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:15 AM
  • 14 Replies

How do you all get enough veggies throughout the day? I like vegetables, but I have a hard time getting enough of them and finding a good variety (middle of Kansas, small grocery stores - I'm limited).

It's difficult for me to incorporate them into breakfast. I have veggies of some sort with dinne but I tire of salads quickly.

I struggle with snacking veggies. Besides carrots and celery sticks...that type of thing, how do you all snack on veggies? Especially at work, this is difficult for me because I don't have the time/ability to run down to the kitchen and cook myself something, ya know?!

Give me some ideas please! :)

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:26 AM
Fruit with breakfast, personally I LOVE salad and steamed veggies for dinner. I'm low carb so my focus is mainly proteins.
K3412
by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:28 AM

I know I don't get as many as are recommended, but I pretty much fall short everywhere despite doing my best. I sometimes put peppers, mushrooms and spinach into egg dishes for breakfast. We always have at least one vegetable with dinner, such as green beans, broccoli, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, zucchini, corn, egg plant, peas, cauliflower, etc. We sometimes also have salads, but not every meal. 

You can snack on cucumber, sugar snap peas, zucchini chips, cherry tomatoes (are tomatoes a fruit?), hummus, guacamole, etc. to increase your vegetable intake.

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:39 AM

I don't have a problem getting enough fruit. I have a problem limiting my fruits! I can easily go overboard on the  fruit, lol! :)

How do you jazz up a salad so it isn't boring? I just get tired of it after a while and need something to spruce it up.

Quoting MixedCooke: Fruit with breakfast, personally I LOVE salad and steamed veggies for dinner. I'm low carb so my focus is mainly proteins.

virginiamama71
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:40 AM

The last time I had the recommended amount of fruit and vegetables in a day was over 20 years ago. We grew up having meals that always had veggies.  I have a salad a couple times a week for lunch, and veggies may show up at some meals for dinner. I also take a multi vitamin and hope I will be alright. :-)

adamsmom0116
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Yes! I do the veggie-egg thing for breakfast on the weekends sometimes, but during the week, I am not hungry for breakfast until after I've been up for a couple of hours. So then I'm at work. I end up with something like overnight oats with chia seeds and blueberries that I can make ahead, grab out of the fridge, and eat at my desk.

Adding the hummus and guac are great ideas! I just get bored I think, and I want different things.

Quoting K3412:

I know I don't get as many as are recommended, but I pretty much fall short everywhere despite doing my best. I sometimes put peppers, mushrooms and spinach into egg dishes for breakfast. We always have at least one vegetable with dinner, such as green beans, broccoli, brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, zucchini, corn, egg plant, peas, cauliflower, etc. We sometimes also have salads, but not every meal. 

You can snack on cucumber, sugar snap peas, zucchini chips, cherry tomatoes (are tomatoes a fruit?), hummus, guacamole, etc. to increase your vegetable intake.

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:42 AM
Raw white onions

Quoting adamsmom0116:

I don't have a problem getting enough fruit. I have a problem limiting my fruits! I can easily go overboard on the  fruit, lol! :)

How do you jazz up a salad so it isn't boring? I just get tired of it after a while and need something to spruce it up.

Quoting MixedCooke: Fruit with breakfast, personally I LOVE salad and steamed veggies for dinner. I'm low carb so my focus is mainly proteins.

WILDCATGAL78
by Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:43 AM

I just eat them cold cut style with some cream cheese, cheese or a yogurt based dip. Tomatoes, cucumbers, green/red peppers, broccoli, cauliflower, radishes for example. The grocery stores I go too, also sell some of these veggies precut for convenience. I just snack on them throughout the day after breakfast. 

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2017 at 11:57 AM

I do egg cups for mornings.  One scrambled egg, put in muffin tin to cook.  Add spinach, tomato, basil, etc. (whatever you want) it's like a veggie frittata in a muffin tin.

I will eat cherry or grape tomatoes at any time of day.  LOVE THOSE THINGS!  Easy to keep to hand, as long as they are washed.

I also happen to love most veggies raw.  I will have 1/8 head of cabbage at any given time.  I love broccoli and cauliflower, but have to watch how much as they don't like me.

I will also do a tomato, mozzerella (fresh) and basil (or pesto) bowl.  Super yummy and easy.

Salads can be yummy and exciting instead of boring.  Use the less used lettuce, not just iceberg.  I prefer the shredded veggie salad bags as they don't wilt when they are mixed before being eaten like regular lettuce.  I add a healthy protein, like egg or turkey, sometimes ham.  Add a feta or bleu cheese, not much.  Add crisp peas, tomatoes, chia or flax seeds, a few different nuts or seeds.  You don't need dressing if you have enough "wet" additions, like ham, or olives, or something like that.  But if I do dressing, I get one I love, not just a low fat one.  Those don't make anything appetizing to me.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 8:59 PM

We rotate through broccoli, cucumbers, sweet peppers, carrots, cherry tomatoes raw for snacks.

We throw in our frozen spinach in smoothies  1-2 per week.

We rotate through roasted brussel sprouts, sweet potatoes, frozen broccoli, mixed vegetables and then a salad with dark greens during the week. 

I put onions, garlic in nearly every single thing for dinner, often cooked peppers, carrots, peppers are included as well.

And i dont' know if you consider legumes a veggie, but we consume a lot of those on a weekly basis as well. I am trying to do 2 meatless dinners a week now for my DH's gout. *rolls eyes* not that I know why, he pretty much just uses it as an excuse to eat worse at lunch. 

*eta we do cauliflower a lot do, lots of pasta with veggies!

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 6:40 AM
I've b en buying those big plastic containers of baby lettuce and eating a massive salad at lunch everyday. I addcukrs to it, grape tomatoes etc. I knowI don't eat enough veggies but i feel like the salad is at least four servings' worth...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)