Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

And the hits keep coming...UPDATE!!!!!!!!!

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:10 PM
  • 8 Replies

Got hit by a shower of gravel from a large truck that had not properly covered his load this morning.  No  company info on the truck, and since I was driving, it would have been dangerous to attempt to get his license plate.  So a large chip in my windsheild.  Luckily, only $50 to repair since they cut deals for State Farm customers. 

Then found out that SD's car is most likely totaled.  So we begin looking for another vehicle.  In the meantime, she is in a rental, which is in my name.  DH is not thrilled with it, but it is what it is. 

Now, the other person's insurance company is trying to contact my SD.  Left a message stating that the other guy is injured and seeking "radical treatment".  So I highly doubt this.  Why?  Because he didn't file a claim, we did.  He spoke to the adjuster, and claimed that he was in the lane for "a significant amount of time", which the pictures disprove. 

So now, a week later, after realizing that he may be at fault, at the very minimum 50/50, he claims injuries.

We have enough insurance to cover just about anything he can claim from this, but I don't want him using it if he is lying.  Thankfully, State Farm will be investigating, and we know they don't want to pay on false claims.

I'll put pics in the comments.

Update...

The car is not totaled!  Valuation is over 11000.  So even if they tear it apart and find additional damage, if they total it then, we will have nearly 11000 to find another vehicle.

Such a load off my mind!

by on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:21 PM

Mobile Photo

Mobile Photo

First picture is the other person.  Small dent on the back of the truck.

Second picture is my stepdaughters. 

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 4:33 PM
Most insurance companies allow one free windshield replacement per year. Sucks about the vehicle!
deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 26, 2017 at 5:14 PM

I just paid out of pocket for the repair.  It was only $50.  It's just that we have already had such a tough time with various things dealing with vehicles in the last week.

Quoting MixedCooke: Most insurance companies allow one free windshield replacement per year. Sucks about the vehicle!

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2017 at 9:07 PM

I need my windshiled replaced. I didn't even realize I should check with my insurance. I have just been ignoring the crack, because I do not want to deal with it. 

Sorry about SD, hope she can find a new vehicle. I live in a no fault state, so unless the damages are like massive (difigurement), there is no reason to point blame.

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2017 at 7:58 AM
So sorry. It seems like the waterfall opened on your SD and by default your family as well... At least both drivers had insurance and the ins can fight it out....
deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2017 at 8:42 AM
I didn't go through insurance. The window place gives State Farm customers an automatic discount. They don't even contact them.

Quoting Marti123:

I need my windshiled replaced. I didn't even realize I should check with my insurance. I have just been ignoring the crack, because I do not want to deal with it. 

Sorry about SD, hope she can find a new vehicle. I live in a no fault state, so unless the damages are like massive (difigurement), there is no reason to point blame.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2017 at 8:43 AM
And now...dh's ex is going a bit nutty. She's always been, but she's taking it to a weird, stalkerish level.
deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 27, 2017 at 12:40 PM
1 mom liked this

So we have a $500 deductible.  SD is wanting to sit down and discuss payback.  I think that's pretty responsible of her, and am pretty proud.  She will be paying back the deductible, the rental car, and the after school care.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)