Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Cell phones at work

Posted by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:32 PM
  • 16 Replies
So they took away our old fashion phones and we have soft phones now so the only way we can get calls is through our 800 number and they took our direct extension away. It's only my division so even people in other parts of company can't call us directly.

Now I don't make a lot of personal calls anyway and my agency prefers to communitcate via email anyway but having kids and elderly parents it's concerning not have someone be able to contact me in case of an emergency (I'm old and still new to cell phones)

now my manager has never had an issue with us having cell phones on our desk. We are adults and for the most part don't abuse it but other managers are now telling their staff they can't even have them on desk. One of my friends in one of those departments is upset and I don't blame her. Her dh is disabled and in poor health. She NEEDS to be reachable. It's just said cause some people can't stay off social media everyone suffers.
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 12:32 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 1:24 PM

That is unacceptable in my opinion.  I would get a smart watch like yesterday to push messages to me in that fashion.

If they banned that, and there is truly no way I could be reached in an emergency for up to 4-5 hours until my lunch break, it would most likely drive me to search for another job. It's just not OK, in 2017. 

Pink.Sunshine
by Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:19 PM

Yeah I would have a problem with that. What if my kid needed to contact me without having to go through my job?

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:44 PM
While I agree cellphones can be a distraction there are times you need to be reachable. too bad a few rotten apples caused big brother to put his foot down for everyone.
babyboxfish
by on Feb. 15, 2017 at 11:56 PM
1 mom liked this

same!

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

Yeah I would have a problem with that. What if my kid needed to contact me without having to go through my job?

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 6:37 AM
The way the phones are set up they aren't even supposed to contact you through the work line.They were so sneaky about it too trying to say we'd have no extensions trying to discourage personal use of the phone and they don't even want you using it for non work related stuff on lunches and breaks. I have to give the boys school 2 numbers to reach me during the day so they got the updated number. I really don't care if the recorded line picks up the school nurse saying my kid puked. You can't cut people out from outside world like that. My tesm lead dad will not call his cell phone he can't hear him when his on it (he's in his 80s) he calls the work number and speaks Chinese to him so whoever is monitoring it would have no clue. Again my manager is fine with it but we are also a small group and only 1 girl is likely to overuse it or her cell. I just feel bad for the other groups

Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 6:44 AM
My manager is good with stuff like this and there are only 7 of us and really only 1 has a history of doing personal stuff ALOT on work time. His other department manager is fine with cell phones being out as long as you aren't abusing it and if she has a problem with a specific employee or a few she'll address them. The problem with the manager who sent the email yesterday, it's a few people who abuse it and instead of addressing them she sends the blanket email (it wasn't just the phone issue) If employee A keeps her cell phone on her desk incase her kid has an issue and employee B sits there making personal calls, texting and on social media then reprimand that person not all of them.

Quoting calsmom62: While I agree cellphones can be a distraction there are times you need to be reachable. too bad a few rotten apples caused big brother to put his foot down for everyone.
calsmom62
by Gold Member on Feb. 16, 2017 at 7:06 AM
A few yrs ago our office was in the same bldg as a call center. The floor managers all seemed to be on mini power trips over the call center staff. Cell phone use was clearly one of the policies as the restroom was full of call center staff on their cells calling their kids' schools or babysitters.. or complaining about the managers. Then floor managers started patrolling the restrooms like hall monitors.. oh, the drama...

Quoting ljmom24: My manager is good with stuff like this and there are only 7 of us and really only 1 has a history of doing personal stuff ALOT on work time. His other department manager is fine with cell phones being out as long as you aren't abusing it and if she has a problem with a specific employee or a few she'll address them. The problem with the manager who sent the email yesterday, it's a few people who abuse it and instead of addressing them she sends the blanket email (it wasn't just the phone issue) If employee A keeps her cell phone on her desk incase her kid has an issue and employee B sits there making personal calls, texting and on social media then reprimand that person not all of them.

Quoting calsmom62: While I agree cellphones can be a distraction there are times you need to be reachable. too bad a few rotten apples caused big brother to put his foot down for everyone.
Pink.Sunshine
by Member on Feb. 18, 2017 at 1:12 AM

:/

Quoting ljmom24: The way the phones are set up they aren't even supposed to contact you through the work line.They were so sneaky about it too trying to say we'd have no extensions trying to discourage personal use of the phone and they don't even want you using it for non work related stuff on lunches and breaks. I have to give the boys school 2 numbers to reach me during the day so they got the updated number. I really don't care if the recorded line picks up the school nurse saying my kid puked. You can't cut people out from outside world like that. My tesm lead dad will not call his cell phone he can't hear him when his on it (he's in his 80s) he calls the work number and speaks Chinese to him so whoever is monitoring it would have no clue. Again my manager is fine with it but we are also a small group and only 1 girl is likely to overuse it or her cell. I just feel bad for the other groups
Quoting Pink.Sunshine:

AzariahsMother
by Member on Feb. 20, 2017 at 11:31 AM

I would have a problem.  A mother of 2 kids 16 and 1 I need to be reachable at all times.  You never know when something could happen.  Plus my cell phone which is my personal is the way for my personal life to get in touch with me.  Not on my work phone.  I agree with someone else who said I would get a smart watch.  If that's what it would come to so be it.

Here it's pretty relaxed.  Of course like you said some abuse and some don't.  I have my days where I check more often than I should just like when I am on CM more often than I should.  As long as my work is done and done within my 40's I don't see the problem to be honest.

la_bella_vita
by Member on Feb. 20, 2017 at 6:00 PM

We just need to have our phone on silent. We are all respectable but my office is small, it's just 5 of us.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)