Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Well, that was a mess & a half

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:13 AM
  • 7 Replies

So I had online class last night. I am deep into analyzing confidence interval & reliability of quantitative studies with Cronbach's alpha, when my naked, freshly bathed DD comes crying to sit on my lap. I shush her & try to go on listening, look down and realized I am covered in BLOOD!! 

I couldn't even tell where DD was bleeding, so much blood from somewhere on her head. (She's got this mess of hair) She is freaking out, flailing. At this point, my high needs DS sees the situation, he starts screaming and freaking out. My DH who was "watching" her is freaking out. So now they are feeding off each other in a freaking-out fest. PEOPLE CALM THE F* DOWN!!

Turns out, DD lacerated her ear. Had to get her dressed, much like dressing a flailing octopus that flings blood everywhere. So just to review the list of awesome highlights:

• hung out in the ER past bedtime for 5 hours in peak influenza season
  • get to pay for the ER visit & a plastic surgery consult & in the end--they JUST GLUED her ear (ironically with the same glue that I have at home, due to snagging samples as an NP)
  • got to help 4 other people to hold my incredible hulk of a daughter fighting while they glued this ear at 1245AM IN THE MORNING!
  • forgot a pony tail holder, so DD has hair glued into this ear wound
  • left with the friendly advice "we did the best we could given the injury, there is a risk it will look like a boxer's ear, but plastic surgeon's can probably fix it when she gets older"
  • missed the last 1/3 of the research class, arrghhhh
  • home today with a 3 year old, which just means I fall that much farther behind at work!!

Rock on motherhood! 

by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 10:13 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:08 AM
When ODS was 4 and I was pregnant with my youngest he ran into a door and cracked his head. Boy does that kid bleed. Now I'm screaming cause I'm at the stage I can't move fast and dh is oblivious on the couch. It's 10pm and off to the ER in a panic mode cause omg who has a 4 year old up this late surely we are going to be reported. Get to the ER Ds and I still in our pjs and they are like oh he's the 4 child head injury tonight.

He's had 2 additional ER head cut trips. You can see the scars in the summer when he shaves his head or if it's cut real short there are two places hair doesn't grow. Nothing visual but he already sees a plastic surgeon for his lip.

Oddly enough my kid who needs three people to hold him down for a shot just replied ouch that hurt that really really hurt as they stapled his head.

The joys of parenthood
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 11:41 AM

Head injuries are awful, so much vascular tissue to prevent the head from getting infected!

I know about worrying about the judgment, everyone kept asking DD how it happened. I was just sitting there holding my breath, because sometimes the strangest things come out of her mouth, and could have just seen the ER staff's reaction, if she said "Daddy did it" or "Mommy was ignoring me" or just make up a crazy tall tale. Fortunately, she was honest, and just said I slipped and hit my ear. 

They woke her up from an exhausted sleep to glue, no good will come when you wake a beast!

Quoting ljmom24: When ODS was 4 and I was pregnant with my youngest he ran into a door and cracked his head. Boy does that kid bleed. Now I'm screaming cause I'm at the stage I can't move fast and dh is oblivious on the couch. It's 10pm and off to the ER in a panic mode cause omg who has a 4 year old up this late surely we are going to be reported. Get to the ER Ds and I still in our pjs and they are like oh he's the 4 child head injury tonight. He's had 2 additional ER head cut trips. You can see the scars in the summer when he shaves his head or if it's cut real short there are two places hair doesn't grow. Nothing visual but he already sees a plastic surgeon for his lip. Oddly enough my kid who needs three people to hold him down for a shot just replied ouch that hurt that really really hurt as they stapled his head. The joys of parenthood

AzariahsMother
by Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 12:05 PM
2 moms liked this

Sounds like you need a hugging HUG!

Oh boy what a night.  I have to admit you handled it well.  I would have been freaking out with everyone else.  I probably would have called 911 LOL!!

firstimemommy23
by New Member on Feb. 21, 2017 at 4:03 PM
1 mom liked this

What she said.  I'd have to add that experiences like these make us become better prepared parents.  

Quoting AzariahsMother:

Sounds like you need a hugging HUG!

Oh boy what a night.  I have to admit you handled it well.  I would have been freaking out with everyone else.  I probably would have called 911 LOL!!

MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2017 at 5:16 AM

Ugh!  Sounds like when my daught fell and bust open her chin also while my husband was "watching her" and I too was stuck in the Urgent Care until after midnight for over 5 hours and had to hold her down while watching up close and personal as they stitched my poor baby's face!!  I had to miss work too while my hubby was sleeping comfortably in bed when he was the one "watching her!" 

Did you ever find out how she lacerated her ear in the first place and where the hell he actually was when he was supposed to be watching her?  How come as a nurse practitioner (?) didnt you try to treat it on your own?

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 23, 2017 at 6:58 AM
She slipped on the wet floor in front the tub. She was running around and DH had left her wet & unattended.

Her ear was split so deep and was quite swollen wth cartilage exposed. it is one of those wounds, that was out of my scope. The physician said the same thing, so that is why she called the plastic surgeon. I would have felt bad if I had glued it without another provider's opinion, and then it turned out to be really deformed. I actually thought they might do surgery on it that night.

Now of course, in hindsight, lol, her ear may still end up deformed, but at least I know I exhausted all possibilities and it was not due to negligence on my part.

Quoting MixedCooke:

Ugh!  Sounds like when my daught fell and bust open her chin also while my husband was "watching her" and I too was stuck in the Urgent Care until after midnight for over 5 hours and had to hold her down while watching up close and personal as they stitched my poor baby's face!!  I had to miss work too while my hubby was sleeping comfortably in bed when he was the one "watching her!" 

Did you ever find out how she lacerated her ear in the first place and where the hell he actually was when he was supposed to be watching her?  How come as a nurse practitioner (?) didnt you try to treat it on your own?

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Feb. 28, 2017 at 7:45 AM
Awww poor little one! At least her hair will cover it if it doesn't come out perfect.. Wishing you a quiet week after this...
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)