Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Feeling like a failure mom

Posted by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:29 PM
  • 9 Replies
From the time my oldest was an infant he was blessed with a fast metabolism. Add to that he had had feeding issues as a baby and toddler and then ADHD meds to curbed his appetite and we were always trying to fatten him up.

Fast forward and he is 13 and not has hyper and the metabolism is slowing and those bad dietary habits are biting my in my fat a$$. To add a wrench to things he has braces and the only fruits and veggies he likes are on the no no list.

I'm at a loss and feeling guiltily. They both eat a lot of processed food cause it's quicker and easier. Especially in the morning. I keep thinking if I was more on the ball I could make them healthier breakfasts and dinners but I'm rushed in the morning and beat at night.

Dh and I could eat better too so I told them tonight no more junk food and we need to increase our fruits and veggies and start exersizing more. Hopefully when school starts back up next week I can make positive changes
by on Feb. 21, 2017 at 7:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 7:18 AM

You are not a failure mom at all.  From what I am reading, this could have been me or any mom.

But believe me, I have many thoughts about things I think I should have done differently, but have been told I did what I had to do.

AzariahsMother
by Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 9:08 AM

Your not!  I'm sure you are not the only mother in your shoes.  I'm 100% sure we could be eating better.  I don't keep a lot of snacks in the house and we don't eat out a lot but I am guilty of making stuff that's quick sometimes. 

WILDCATGAL78
by Bronze Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 11:43 AM

I agree! You're not a failure. Sometimes, I get so exhausted after a long day, we just have snacks for dinner. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 3:56 PM
We all do the best we can and eating healthy can be really difficult. *hugs*
calsmom62
by Gold Member on Feb. 22, 2017 at 8:13 PM
You are not a failure!! You are doing great. Did you know Lucky Charms are gluten free!? If you are interested in having the family eat healthier I have learned over the years not to upend everything all at once. that always causes a mutiny ... Pick one thing to change, like putting fruit out in a bowl... and every week pick another .. But don't beat yourself up because the kids had toaster strudel for breakfast .. purée broccoli into their spaghetti sauce at dinner and they will never know...
MixedCooke
by Bronze Member on Feb. 23, 2017 at 4:58 AM

It is the plight of motherhood but there are solutions! You do the grocery shopping so make a conscious effort to limit their processed foods or choose healthier options.  Fruits--focus mainly on berries, Veggies--focus on the green ones and cauliflower.  Too tired to cook?  Cook in bulk so there are leftovers and or use the slow cooker.  Rushed at breakfast---meal plan on Sunday, you can make omelet muffins (eggs, a bit of milk, bacon, sausage, cheese mixed together and bake in a muffin tin at 350 for 15 minutes), you can then freeze them and pop them in the microwave for 30 seconds to a minute.  You can also make mini frozen yogurt and mixed berry fruit cups, which could also be a healthy afternoon snack or dessert.  Its as simple as it sounds with yogurt mixed with berries and you could add a little crunch factor with some granola.  Green Giant has those new riced veggies you could also try to sub for rice.  Where there is a will, there is a way!

j2415
by on Feb. 23, 2017 at 8:48 AM

Hi, you're not a failure. When I was young, I didn't like to eat vegetables even fruits. My parents would always force me to eat them but I didn't want too. Now that I am an adult, I really love to eat them.

My teenage son, he doesn't want to eat any vegetables too, my husband always tell me to force him to eat because it's good for him but I always told him that I was like that too, eventually he will like vegetables and your child will like it too.

Thank you for sharing.

Swiftintent
by on Feb. 24, 2017 at 8:22 PM

You're not a failure, you're human like the rest of us. My family just decided to start making changes in our eating habbits as well. It's never easy and it doesn't happen fast but you'll be able to figure something out. You're a good mom for taking the steps to make these changes now. Don't beat up on yourself and just keep pushing forward :)

bonnie333
by New Member on Feb. 24, 2017 at 8:31 PM
My dd just went to whole foods with school and they made smoothies. They had to choose things at least one of each color, there was red pepper, spinach, and then fruits of course. She said it was the best smoothie she's ever had. Maybe try somethig like that with them. You can make frozen individual bags and just blend them up. Super healthy and quick.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)