Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Decisions, choices and adulting oh my

Posted by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:15 PM
  • 25 Replies
So we had a full company meeting today and a few years before we got an email about a voluntary separation program. To be honest i never figured I would qualify. Even after the meeting I thought I was 2 years shy of requirement, but under terms of pension it goes by whole year not birthday.

The package is good BUT I need the insurance. I don't have figured for cobra but I think it's a lot more. Dh has insurance but it won't cover all of ods needs. End of story right???

Well I'm 42 years old and not getting younger. While they are hopeful what I do is going away end of story. Because of time of service I make a good salary so not likely to. R moved. I don't take it and maybe when my number comes up it's a lot less then what the normal pscskage will be and they clearly said this package is only offered once.

We have until end of June to declare we want in but we would have from September to end of year to leave so I couldn't even look cause earliest I could Start is mid September. I've been laid off before and I don't want that experience. June had November are the worst months at work. That's when they do the lay offs and it's the worst feeling to wonder if today is the day every day you go to work. Plus if I wait it out I'll be even older and trying to find work.

I won't get figures for a few more weeks so really I have to see that I guess. Adulting just sucks
by on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:15 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 8:56 PM

I am sorry, it is really hard to decide to go or stay sometimes. So much stress at my job too.

Good luck with your decision. Too bad you cannot get insurance through your DH.

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 9:06 PM
We can get insurance but it won't cover everything we need for ods. He has a cleft and we have mandated state coverage for dental stuff but dh work is self funded so they won't cover and we are in the middle of orthodontic treatment

Quoting Marti123:

I am sorry, it is really hard to decide to go or stay sometimes. So much stress at my job too.

Good luck with your decision. Too bad you cannot get insurance through your DH.

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Apr. 10, 2017 at 11:17 PM
Sorry- at least you have a little notice and can start putting the word out you are open to possibilities after summer...
Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 3:02 PM

Good luck with your decision.  And yes, sometimes adulting sucks.  That also sucks about the pension calculations.

Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 3:02 PM

That is one good thing about this.  Maybe the only good thing.

Quoting calsmom62: Sorry- at least you have a little notice and can start putting the word out you are open to possibilities after summer...

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 3:08 PM
I can stay until end of year and then the package would pay me through March 2019. That's 64 weeks to find a job, but it's the insurance for my oldest.

I get more figures in a few weeks so depending on tax hit for pension might cash it out and create a savings

Quoting calsmom62: Sorry- at least you have a little notice and can start putting the word out you are open to possibilities after summer...
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 3:10 PM
I don't trust the pension will always be there. It comes down to what the pay out and taxes are.

Right now if nothing changed and we weren't going belly up it's a small bump in my monthly pay when I retire

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Good luck with your decision.  And yes, sometimes adulting sucks.  That also sucks about the pension calculations.

Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 3:14 PM

Pensions are not trustworthy unless they are registered and insured.  I am not even sure if that applies in the U.S.

There was a survey I heard where a good percentage of people thought they had pension plans, but in reality, only had profit sharing plans.

Are there any benefits you can get if your job goes?

Quoting ljmom24: I don't trust the pension will always be there. It comes down to what the pay out and taxes are. Right now if nothing changed and we weren't going belly up it's a small bump in my monthly pay when I retire
Quoting Linda_Runs:

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 4:58 PM
I may have to cash out or roll over in an IRa in a few years

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Pensions are not trustworthy unless they are registered and insured.  I am not even sure if that applies in the U.S.

There was a survey I heard where a good percentage of people thought they had pension plans, but in reality, only had profit sharing plans.

Are there any benefits you can get if your job goes?

Quoting ljmom24: I don't trust the pension will always be there. It comes down to what the pay out and taxes are.

Right now if nothing changed and we weren't going belly up it's a small bump in my monthly pay when I retire

Quoting Linda_Runs:

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Apr. 11, 2017 at 6:46 PM
think about getting a state job.. another good pension and benefits are good....

Quoting ljmom24: I don't trust the pension will always be there. It comes down to what the pay out and taxes are.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)