Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What % salary raise should be considered if I'm looking for another job?

Posted by on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:28 PM
  • 12 Replies

I really do like the job I have.  I get to work with amazing students.  In the last couple of years though, I felt like I'm doing a lot more than I have time for and I don't think it's going to ease up.  I don't see my program getting money for another staff to help out either.  I feel like I'm about to create something really great with my program.....or at least I have the ideas to....but not necessarily the time or resources.   I'm not actively looking for another job.  And I'm in no rush to leave.  Nothing is so bad that I feel I need to get out now.

BUT.....if I happen to see something that could be a change of pace and a job that makes more for the type of work I do or a position up without too much additional time sacrifice.....what percentage of my salary do you think would make it worthwhile to apply?  I"m not sure if I'm saying this correctly but I don't want to add too much to my plate but if I see something that could be a next step for me.....what would be a good salary raise?

by on Aug. 16, 2017 at 7:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
rjsmother
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 9:57 AM

Quoting M4LG5:

I really do like the job I have.  I get to work with amazing students.  In the last couple of years though, I felt like I'm doing a lot more than I have time for and I don't think it's going to ease up.  I don't see my program getting money for another staff to help out either.  I feel like I'm about to create something really great with my program.....or at least I have the ideas to....but not necessarily the time or resources.   I'm not actively looking for another job.  And I'm in no rush to leave.  Nothing is so bad that I feel I need to get out now.

BUT.....if I happen to see something that could be a change of pace and a job that makes more for the type of work I do or a position up without too much additional time sacrifice.....what percentage of my salary do you think would make it worthwhile to apply?  I"m not sure if I'm saying this correctly but I don't want to add too much to my plate but if I see something that could be a next step for me.....what would be a good salary raise?

rjsmother
by New Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 9:58 AM

I work for a company that allows me to make any where from 500-1000$+ per week so if you ask me thats the type of salary you should be looking for 

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 11:01 AM
I don't think I'd look just at the salary as long as it's at least what I'm making but sometimes benefits can be a deciding factor. Also location. If commute time is more or less it can factor in too
M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 17, 2017 at 12:08 PM

According to the job description, it's 5 minutes from my house but I would also likely travel to different high schools and such for outreach.

Quoting ljmom24: I don't think I'd look just at the salary as long as it's at least what I'm making but sometimes benefits can be a deciding factor. Also location. If commute time is more or less it can factor in too

M4LG5
by Valeri on Aug. 17, 2017 at 12:48 PM

My current job pays more than this but thank you.

Quoting rjsmother:

I work for a company that allows me to make any where from 500-1000$+ per week so if you ask me thats the type of salary you should be looking for 

ljmom24
by Silver Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 12:56 PM
I wish places would just list salary range. Kind of vent from my own experience but why waste my time and yours. I know what I NEED to make and would like to make if you aren't going to be paying that why bother going through the dance.

But in this case I'd look at job duties vs what current job. You can always ask for more then just have your bottom in back of mind.

Is there any travel reimbursement? If not expect to add that to salary requirements

Quoting M4LG5:

According to the job description, it's 5 minutes from my house but I would also likely travel to different high schools and such for outreach.

Quoting ljmom24: I don't think I'd look just at the salary as long as it's at least what I'm making but sometimes benefits can be a deciding factor. Also location. If commute time is more or less it can factor in too

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 11:16 PM
I just don't know. I have to really look at the whole package of the job, the fulfillment, the hours, the growth potential.

I get a measly 1-2% raise AT most, at school, and due to major budgetary issues, I would not be surprised if I never saw a raise again. So I would consider anything 5% or above worth looking at.
calsmom62
by Gold Member on Aug. 17, 2017 at 11:36 PM
Check glassdoor , add your expected annual raise to your current base, and then adjust for industry, responsibility, and benefits/ loss of benefits... you get a ballpark to negotiate from.
Pink.Sunshine
by on Aug. 23, 2017 at 7:06 AM
I wanted $5-$7 more hourly
Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Aug. 23, 2017 at 8:04 AM

Salary increase is always a consideration when looking for a job.  Of course if you don't have a job for any number of reasons, sometimes that fact that there is a salary is consideration enough.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)