Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you guys use for ....

Posted by on Aug. 20, 2017 at 6:50 PM
  • 9 Replies
taking lunch to work? I have recently come to the conclusion that it would be best/easiest for me to pack food for work. Lots of reasons, but the biggest is that I can't eat most fast food anymore. :( (I'm gonna miss you beef & cheddar's!) I'll probably be on the road a lot so I need to be able to bring it with me. I need to be able to keep hot stuff hot, cold cold, etc. You know, the usual. I won't & don't eat a ton for lunch but I'd like to be able to take something other than sandwiches every day, so I need it to be big enough for glass containers or whatever. My problem is ... I can't find anything that will do what I want it to do. the only "real" store in my area is wal-mart (ugh!) and when I'm in other cities for training I can't find anything there either. What do you ladies use? And how well does it work?
by on Aug. 20, 2017 at 6:50 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 6:56 PM
I have a fridge at work so I just need to transport to work. I just use one of those disposable grocery bags. I also recycle plastic bags to bring things in. It's ligther to not carry tubberwear so I usually use zip lock bags which remarkably leak less then tubberwear.

Dh is on the road all day so he uses a portable cooler. I might get him a yeti cooler for Christmas
Saphira1207
by Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 8:56 PM

Thanks.

I didn't think it would be this hard to find something!

I agree not carrying tupperware would be ideal, but if I'm running between meeting people and court I may not get back to the office.  I've been told, and seen in action, how the people in my division don't always get a chance to have lunch and have to eat on the run.  I'm trying to make it as easy as possible, since not eating will ruin me! :)

Quoting ljmom24: I have a fridge at work so I just need to transport to work. I just use one of those disposable grocery bags. I also recycle plastic bags to bring things in. It's ligther to not carry tubberwear so I usually use zip lock bags which remarkably leak less then tubberwear. Dh is on the road all day so he uses a portable cooler. I might get him a yeti cooler for Christmas

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Aug. 20, 2017 at 10:11 PM
I hsve a lot of to go style containers. When I make the effort, I pack salads and snacks like cheese and veggies, peanutbutter abd crackers....i have ice packs I put in with the boxes in my lunch bag that is well insulated and compact. When I'm not making an effort I either order out or bring a frozen lean cuisine, and pack it with the ice pack- it stays ffozen till Im ready to microwave it
Saphira1207
by Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 6:12 AM

Thank you.

I was planning on frozen meals for the days I'm in the office.

I'm mainly concerned with when I'm on the road all day.  There's no where to eat when you can't eat fast food so I have to figure out a way to pack a meal that won't go bad.
I'm thinking your veggies, peanut butter & crackers idea is a really good one.

Quoting calsmom62: I hsve a lot of to go style containers. When I make the effort, I pack salads and snacks like cheese and veggies, peanutbutter abd crackers....i have ice packs I put in with the boxes in my lunch bag that is well insulated and compact. When I'm not making an effort I either order out or bring a frozen lean cuisine, and pack it with the ice pack- it stays ffozen till Im ready to microwave it

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 7:12 AM
1 mom liked this
Another idea is pasta salad - if you dont use a cream based dressing and use vinaigrette dressings it should be fine with sn ice pack.

Quoting Saphira1207:

Thank you.

I was planning on frozen meals for the days I'm in the office.

I'm mainly concerned with when I'm on the road all day.  There's no where to eat when you can't eat fast food so I have to figure out a way to pack a meal that won't go bad.I'm thinking your veggies, peanut butter & crackers idea is a really good one.

Quoting calsmom62: I hsve a lot of to go style containers. When I make the effort, I pack salads and snacks like cheese and veggies, peanutbutter abd crackers....i have ice packs I put in with the boxes in my lunch bag that is well insulated and compact. When I'm not making an effort I either order out or bring a frozen lean cuisine, and pack it with the ice pack- it stays ffozen till Im ready to microwave it

Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 8:53 AM

I prefer a hot lunch, so when I take something, usually it is in a microwaveable container.

Saphira1207
by Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 6:21 PM

Thank you for your suggestions everyone!

mattsmate
by Bronze Member on Aug. 21, 2017 at 7:36 PM
1 mom liked this
I have a thermal bag that I got from amazon. I use Rubbermaid lunchblox for things that do not need heating. (They are plastic but they come with ice packs that snap onto them). I find that they easily stay cold enough until lunchtime. (I don't bother putting things in the fridge in the am.).
For hot for myself, I use glass storage containers and keep them in the same cooler using the same ice packs until I need to heat them. For my daughter, I use a thermos that supposedly keeps things warm for up to 6 hours. She complains that it doesn't though.
Pink.Sunshine
by Member on Aug. 22, 2017 at 11:08 PM
1 mom liked this

I don't :/ 

but I need to start. I usually get those tupperware thingys from Family Dollar

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)