Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Love My Job but Not Given Enough Hours to do the Job

Posted by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:28 PM
  • 9 Replies

I am new to this group. 

I have looked a very long time for a job. I had not worked for about 20 years in a career do to raising my children and homeschooling them. I have a college degree. I am certified to teach. But I don't want to work full-time, and if I sub or work part-time in schools, I make $8 or less an hour in my part of country. It is not worth my time working for this amount of money. 

i am a hard worker. I love getting the job done and being productive. I want to enjoy the people I work with and the company I work for. 

i finally found a great job working for Hallmark Cards as a Retail Merchandiser. I love the job. I have loved Hallmark since I was a little girl. I have always bought Hallmark products. I have now been working since the first week of October. 

I only work one to two days a week usually but some weeks I work three days. I like the variety. I service four stores for their Hallmark Cards shipment. You wouldn't think there is a lot to learn but it is a high volume, high responsibility and a lot to learn. I worked with my manager for the first few weeks. She would meet me at the store and we did the job together. It took about 6 weeks for me to get my handheld computer, so I really couldn't fully do the job unless she was there. I had no way to check in shipments, to know what slot to put a card back in or to reorder product. Still I worked for a about two weeks on my own without the handheld coumputer. I had to cut the code to scan off the boxes and keep the put back cards in a pile to be done when someone with a computer could scan them. 

We were told at a quarterly meeting we had as a group on my 3rd week of the job to prepare for the holiday season and to know we were going to be very busy. I was looking forward to this. I liked the idea that I would get extra hours several times a year. 

However when I finally got my holiday schedule I saw that I had maybe one extra day a week or the busiest week two extra days, but my hours only went up many one hour per store. So I have at least doube the amount of work to do, but I am not given enough hours to accomplish the work. I am somewhat confused and feel misled. And even two weeks before Thanksgiving my hours were cut an hour per store. I went from 4 hours to 2 and half. 

My manager has to come in and do the work I can't finished. I am so rushed on the days I work at the stores I can't get organized or think straight. It is hard to follow up behind another person because they have put things in different places or put things out that you don't know about. 

I know if I would be able to do a good thorough job the stores would sell more product. It frustrates me that I am not giving the time I need to work and I simply will not work hours that I don't get paid. I do the absolute best I can in the time given an leave. Still I hate leaving the store not stocked, barely organized and not getting to attend to all areas of product. My manager asks me questions and I am not in the store long enough to be able to answer or to learn the system/product/specials and to do the normal work. 

I know I will get better at doing the job but I am working so hard and fast that I am literally sweating! And I am a healthy size 8-10 lady. I am completely able to do my job but never given enough hours.

I am going to give it more time and work through Valentines at least. Has anyone ever had this type of situation?  I know the company is trying to keep payroll at a minimum but the situations is crazy. I had 15 new boxes come in a store last Mondaythat I had to unload from the shipping dock and bring to our area.  (now that store had 25 total boxes of product) I had to scan, open and mark all the boxes. I filled my cart to the brim overflowing with books, wrapping paper, notecards and other specialty items. I got everything out and then rushed through the card department trying as swiftly as posssible to make it "retail ready" on the surface.  

I see when I work an area and stock it well that items sell. When I started we had so many thank you cards under the racks in storage. Now that I have got the product out, it is selling. I also make up about 5 or more gift bags and they all sell in a week. 

Please help me. I think about my stores and want to work them but can't. I want the store managers to know I care and want to do the job but I am not able to tell them about my hours because I work for Hallmark. I have talked to my manager and she says their is nothing she can do; the hours are set by people over her. 

by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
K3412
by on Nov. 21, 2017 at 10:31 PM
I once worked at a a job like that. I worked a lot of unpaid hours. I lasted three years.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 11:28 PM
I have usually always worked longer than my scheduled hours in most jobs. I am guessing you will get faster though, you just started not long ago.
healingsoul
by New Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 11:49 PM

I understand working overtime when you are salary, but did you do this part-time. How do you keep working if you clock out? By law, you have to leave if you are clocked out. 

virginiamama71
by Bronze Member on Nov. 21, 2017 at 11:50 PM
a substitute or part time position in the school system sounds like a better job.
healingsoul
by New Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:31 AM

Quoting virginiamama71: a substitute or part time position in the school system sounds like a better job.

I have worked as a substitute in the school system and they pay much less $4 less and hour, and you must be submitted to such disrepectful students and often unhelpful teachers. 

virginiamama71
by Bronze Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 12:45 AM
1 mom liked this
I know the merchandising jobs pay more but there's not a lot of hours. Also to get more hours people get more stores. After the expenses the pay is probably the same as the school system pay for substitutes or part time. And difficult people comes with every job.

Give yourself more time, if nothing changes it's probably not the job for you.

Quoting healingsoul:

Quoting virginiamama71: a substitute or part time position in the school system sounds like a better job.

I have worked as a substitute in the school system and they pay much less $4 less and hour, and you must be submitted to such disrepectful students and often unhelpful teachers. 

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Nov. 22, 2017 at 10:19 PM
welcome to the wonderful world of retail . Pressure to do more work with and for less
healingsoul
by New Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 8:59 AM

well, I may realize it is not the job for me, and this is ashame. I worked retail when I was in high school many years ago at a major department store and enjoyed it greatly. I was never under this type of pressure. 

virginiamama71
by Bronze Member on Nov. 23, 2017 at 9:05 AM
Since you don't want to teach full time or substitute, tutoring is an option. You have the degree and many years of experience homeschooling your children. Share what you have with other children.

Quoting healingsoul:

well, I may realize it is not the job for me, and this is ashame. I worked retail when I was in high school many years ago at a major department store and enjoyed it greatly. I was never under this type of pressure. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)