Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Bending the Rules on Job Resumes

Posted by   + Show Post

How much is too much?

What I mean is adding information, how you present that information, and limiting the information.

Or perhaps adding a recommendation section.

by on Dec. 3, 2017 at 7:57 PM
Replies (11-15):
Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 9:41 AM

Do you have any friends that are in the hiring process?  Business owners, senior corporate mangers, etc.

Quoting thebadkitty:

I still think I am going to organize my skills per category one set for teaching and another set of work. If I merge the two together the skills list seems so random and long. I am not liking the long. It's like having a curriculum with a list of programming knowledge. I don't know it just doesn't feel right to me. I did get a rough online resume completed. I wouldn't mind having someone look at it and tell me what they think.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

You put everything on the resume, but organize it in such a way that your relevant experiences and skills are pronounced.  I have been part of hiring processes before and, from experience, after reading 10 or more resumes only the well organized and well written one's get picked out, unless I am told to flag one for a particular reason.

Quoting thebadkitty:

This is not a different job this job requires both education and work experience both on the resume. I am applying for a teaching job in computer programming.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

I see what you are saying.  You should have different resume's for different types of jobs.  Since you have a colourful background in education, training, skills and experience, you need to make sure that you highlight the right one's in your resume. 

If you are applying for a computer programming job, under your objective should be your education and professional experience related to computers then lower down your dance would go in additional skills and experience.

Quoting thebadkitty:

Well, the position is for an instructor in computer programming. I have a very colorful background. Most of my teaching is dance but I also teach community education.

Work-wise again colorful background I am currently working three jobs LOL. I am teaching adult education sign language, cybersecurity, then Ballet at the YMCA, then a developer for the university.

The skills applied to programming / teaching are different. So I want to group them together according to those two categories.

Quoting Linda_Runs: What is your educational background and profession?
Quoting thebadkitty: I want to merge my skills according to categories within the category rather than skills section. So to say I will have a list of skills for teaching section then a list of skills for work experience. The two are completely different categories.
Quoting Linda_Runs:

It depends on the job that is being applied for.  A resume and job interview is no place to be modest.

thebadkitty
by Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 9:46 AM
1 mom liked this

I know a few people that will likely be on the committee. I will be going to career services before submitting the final draft for serious modification and adjustments. I suppose if they tell me to move it out as one I will. But, I know for a fact that the hiring committee is more interested in the work experience than the teaching. I think the teaching will be considered a bonus. So far their method has NOT been working. They hired three people so far no teaching background, strong work skills, and lasted only six to eight months. People that have worked most their lives typically do not do well changing their roles (if you know what I mean). 

I was self-employed, my own boss, ran my own business, a director, trained/mentored others and when I got my assistant job it was probably the hardest damn thing I ever did was adapt and put up with the micromanagement. The micromanagement issue seems to be a characteristic of my boss. I hate it I feel smothered. I do love teaching and have been focusing more on that lately.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Do you have any friends that are in the hiring process?  Business owners, senior corporate mangers, etc.

Quoting thebadkitty:

I still think I am going to organize my skills per category one set for teaching and another set of work. If I merge the two together the skills list seems so random and long. I am not liking the long. It's like having a curriculum with a list of programming knowledge. I don't know it just doesn't feel right to me. I did get a rough online resume completed. I wouldn't mind having someone look at it and tell me what they think.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

You put everything on the resume, but organize it in such a way that your relevant experiences and skills are pronounced.  I have been part of hiring processes before and, from experience, after reading 10 or more resumes only the well organized and well written one's get picked out, unless I am told to flag one for a particular reason.

Quoting thebadkitty:

This is not a different job this job requires both education and work experience both on the resume. I am applying for a teaching job in computer programming.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

I see what you are saying.  You should have different resume's for different types of jobs.  Since you have a colourful background in education, training, skills and experience, you need to make sure that you highlight the right one's in your resume. 

If you are applying for a computer programming job, under your objective should be your education and professional experience related to computers then lower down your dance would go in additional skills and experience.

Quoting thebadkitty:

Well, the position is for an instructor in computer programming. I have a very colorful background. Most of my teaching is dance but I also teach community education.

Work-wise again colorful background I am currently working three jobs LOL. I am teaching adult education sign language, cybersecurity, then Ballet at the YMCA, then a developer for the university.

The skills applied to programming / teaching are different. So I want to group them together according to those two categories.

Quoting thebadkitty: I want to merge my skills according to categories within the category rather than skills section. So to say I will have a list of skills for teaching section then a list of skills for work experience. The two are completely different categories.
Quoting Linda_Runs:

It depends on the job that is being applied for.  A resume and job interview is no place to be modest.

Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 9:49 AM

It seems like you have a similar background and I, except yours is a different profession.

It looks to me that you have what you need to draft that resume and get moving with it.

Quoting thebadkitty:

I know a few people that will likely be on the committee. I will be going to career services before submitting the final draft for serious modification and adjustments. I suppose if they tell me to move it out as one I will. But, I know for a fact that the hiring committee is more interested in the work experience than the teaching. I think the teaching will be considered a bonus. So far their method has NOT been working. They hired three people so far no teaching background, strong work skills, and lasted only six to eight months. People that have worked most their lives typically do not do well changing their roles (if you know what I mean). 

I was self-employed, my own boss, ran my own business, a director, trained/mentored others and when I got my assistant job it was probably the hardest damn thing I ever did was adapt and put up with the micromanagement. The micromanagement issue seems to be a characteristic of my boss. I hate it I feel smothered. I do love teaching and have been focusing more on that lately.

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Quoting thebadkitty:

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Quoting thebadkitty:

Quoting Linda_Runs:

Quoting thebadkitty:

Quoting Linda_Runs:

calsmom62
by Gold Member on Dec. 5, 2017 at 6:04 PM
if you have sccess to an EAP they can be very helpful with resume editing
midjet117
by Member on Dec. 6, 2017 at 10:02 AM
I dont know honestly. I've been a cna and an hha for years. What's there to say about my skill set? I wipe peoples butts and I keep peoples medical issues a secret. No way to pretty that up.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)