Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

I feel bad, but won’t change my policy

Posted by on Jan. 28, 2018 at 12:11 PM
  • 8 Replies
3 moms liked this
Everyone in my car buckles properly or the car doesn’t move.
I was with other people and a child refused the shoulder strap over the shoulder. I pulled into a parking lot and sat there until the mom made the child wear the belt properly.
Yes, there were tears. Yes, the other children got frustrated.
But in my car everyone buckles correctly. If something happens, I would feel so guilty if I hadn’t done everything I could to keep them safe.
This includes adults. No seatbelt, no ride. Period. My grandson, who refuses a booster with anyone who allows it, will eagerly get in when I take him somewhere. He knows the rules. No booster, you don’t go.
by on Jan. 28, 2018 at 12:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
calsmom62
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2018 at 6:55 AM
you did the right thing. From a risk management standpoint no matter what the mom may have allowed you were the operator and would be responsible had an injury occurred while he was improperly buckled
Sydel
by Bronze Member on Jan. 30, 2018 at 10:12 AM

Your car, your rules.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2018 at 12:13 PM

I can't really wrap my mind over tears about a shoulder strap? Was it a sensory issue for the child or something? Even my high needs child, understand he has to buckle. We worked with OT for quite a while over it. I am not sure if you remember me complaining about him crying for hours, lol, but geez fortunately we were able to overcome it!!

This is a reason why it pays to be introverted, LOL, we just don't have many others besides family in our car!

But I agree you car, you rules.

deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 30, 2018 at 1:39 PM

I think it's a matter of he isn't accustomed to being made to do what he doesn't want to do.

Quoting Marti123:

I can't really wrap my mind over tears about a shoulder strap? Was it a sensory issue for the child or something? Even my high needs child, understand he has to buckle. We worked with OT for quite a while over it. I am not sure if you remember me complaining about him crying for hours, lol, but geez fortunately we were able to overcome it!!

This is a reason why it pays to be introverted, LOL, we just don't have many others besides family in our car!

But I agree you car, you rules.

M4LG5
by Valeri on Jan. 30, 2018 at 1:43 PM

I find it very surprising when i see kids and even adults NOT buckle their seat belts.  I had a few children seem act like they forgot to put their seatbelt on but I know they saw my kids do their seatbelt.  doesn't matter....we are not going until seatbelts are on.

Linda_Runs
by Bronze Member on Jan. 31, 2018 at 4:25 PM
I am 100 percent with you and am the same. You won't find any problem getting support for your policy here.

This brings to mind a situation I had a few years back with my four year old when she kept unbuckling her car seat while I was driving.
whattheheck85
by New Member on Jan. 31, 2018 at 4:27 PM
1 mom liked this
I do the same. I refused to move the car when my mother wouldn’t buckle her belt.
lpn54
by Member on Feb. 1, 2018 at 1:59 AM
Nothing wrong with that your car your rules people need to deal with it
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)