Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Going to work with the flu

Posted by on Jan. 30, 2018 at 9:24 AM
  • 14 Replies

So the flu is hitting everyone in my workplace and city. Half of the people you know are either sick with or have been sick with the flu.

We were just told yesterday that if one is sick with the flu they are to go home and use up their sick/vacation time. We are not to work from home. WTF? What difference does it make if we want to work from home or not at least we are working!

Anyhow, apparently this encourages people to want to work from home or request to work from home. So next time I get the flu I am coming to work.

by on Jan. 30, 2018 at 9:24 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
ljmom24
by Silver Member on Jan. 30, 2018 at 9:49 AM
When swine flu hit a few years ago my old supervisor daughter got it. She wasn’t a supervisor at the time so work from home not an option. She was not allowed back to work until her house was symptom free for 48 hrs. She was freaking out. Single mom 2 kids and out of work for 3 weeks. That was a years vacation and sick but they were great and didn’t make her use time. They just paid her straight time.

It’s tough. I was never one to use sick time for me but because of that I got slack when I did. My old employer now has work at home options for all staff so I’m guessing they will be encouraging that during this horrible flu season. Before it sucked cause some managers are just jerks. More then one at my work tried writing people up for occurrences during the swine flu so hr had to write a new sick policy allowing them to amend the sick policy during outbreaks.

I know at least one School here is saying they must be symptom free for 5 days before they can come back. What are parents to do.
deccaf
by Group Admin on Jan. 30, 2018 at 9:50 AM

Perhaps it's a policy issue?  The company doesn't want to encourage people to work when they are sick?

I know when I had the flu, I wouldn't have even wanted to work.  I was just sore and cold and exhausted and miserable.

thebadkitty
by Member on Jan. 30, 2018 at 10:23 AM

With the flu, you are contagious for seven days even when you start feeling better. I had the mass fever over the weekend and kept returning after the weekend. I was not so sick that I couldn't sit at my computer and do some work for four hours. I think it is ridiculous to encourage employees not to work while waiting out the symptoms. Now if were really sick I would rest and not worry about work.

Quoting deccaf:

Perhaps it's a policy issue?  The company doesn't want to encourage people to work when they are sick?

I know when I had the flu, I wouldn't have even wanted to work.  I was just sore and cold and exhausted and miserable.

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2018 at 11:09 AM

The company obviously frowns on people working from home. I think in 2018, that's a sad attitude to have, imo. But I suppose it's their prerogative. 

thebadkitty
by Member on Jan. 30, 2018 at 11:26 AM

I understand they do not want it to be a habit for convenience sake but the facts are the organization is understaffed and really it hurts the business more by sending people home for a week or so than having them work from home when they can.

Quoting Marti123:

The company obviously frowns on people working from home. I think in 2018, that's a sad attitude to have, imo. But I suppose it's their prerogative. 

Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2018 at 11:29 AM

Well, sounds like they have crappy management and policies. And remember there is a reason you are trying to find a new job. It sucks, but guess they can suffer the natural consequences.

Quoting thebadkitty:

I understand they do not want it to be a habit for convenience sake but the facts are the organization is understaffed and really it hurts the business more by sending people home for a week or so than having them work from home when they can.

Quoting Marti123:

thebadkitty
by Member on Jan. 30, 2018 at 11:31 AM

The place is run by OLD need to retire generation. No offense I'm in my mid-forties but I am not that fucking stubborn to think I have to keep things the way they always were because that system works best for me deal. I like change I believe in change and without change, we could not improve to better systems, policies, and improvement for the overall organization. That is my number one issue with my boss!

Quoting Marti123:

Well, sounds like they have crappy management and policies. And remember there is a reason you are trying to find a new job. It sucks, but guess they can suffer the natural consequences.

Quoting thebadkitty:

Quoting Marti123:

Mommy51408
by on Jan. 30, 2018 at 11:32 AM
They recently took ALL our vacation time away and changed the policy to where we only get 1 sick day a month and it's only after you've worked the entire month. On top of that, they don't follow the health department's guidelines and they let our students (severely cognitively impaired) come to school sick. So a lot of our staff if they are physically well enough to do so, will come to work sick because we have no choice. They took away all our options so unfortunately they've kind of made their own bed and illness just keeps getting passed around and around worse than usual.
Marti123
by Platinum Member on Jan. 30, 2018 at 11:58 AM

I think companies that embrace change including giving more flexibility in the work environment in 2018 will absolutely get and keep better employees. Change is absolutely necessary in any orgnization, and to just ignore this fundamental principle, is absolutely a sign of poor management. In your case, they likely lack motivation and don't want to put in the effort, as they just want to "hold out" until retirement. 

Quoting thebadkitty:

The place is run by OLD need to retire generation. No offense I'm in my mid-forties but I am not that fucking stubborn to think I have to keep things the way they always were because that system works best for me deal. I like change I believe in change and without change, we could not improve to better systems, policies, and improvement for the overall organization. That is my number one issue with my boss!

Quoting Marti123:

Quoting thebadkitty:

Quoting Marti123:

PinkButterfly66
by on Jan. 30, 2018 at 1:59 PM

Even if you don't have a fever for 24 hours?

Quoting thebadkitty:

With the flu, you are contagious for seven days even when you start feeling better. I had the mass fever over the weekend and kept returning after the weekend. I was not so sick that I couldn't sit at my computer and do some work for four hours. I think it is ridiculous to encourage employees not to work while waiting out the symptoms. Now if were really sick I would rest and not worry about work.

Quoting deccaf:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)